Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Maduranga Kannangara <mk...@infomedia.com.au> on 2010/05/18 03:13:39 UTC

Deciding memory requirements for Lucene indexes proactively -- How to?

Hi guys

Is there a way (perhaps a formulae) to accurately
judge  the memory requirement for a Lucene index?
(May be based on number of documents or index
size etc?)

Reason I am asking is that we had two indexes
running on separate Tomcat instances and we decided
to move both these webapps (Solr) to a single Tomcat
for effective memory sharing. However our JVM
memory allocation was not accurate enough and the
Indexes started running OutOfMemory errors on
our production environment.

It would be much helpful if we can identify the
requirement for resources pro-actively.

Any help on the matter much appreciated.

We use: Solr 1.4, Java 1.6.0_20

Thanks in advance

Madu

Re: Deciding memory requirements for Lucene indexes proactively -- How to?

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
> Is there a way (perhaps a formulae) to accurately
> judge  the memory requirement for a Lucene index?
> (May be based on number of documents or index
> size etc?)

The short answer is no, although there are some things you can
estimate based on the number of fields, terms etc.  Sorting will use
memory - maybe a lot.

> Reason I am asking is that we had two indexes
> running on separate Tomcat instances and we decided
> to move both these webapps (Solr) to a single Tomcat
> for effective memory sharing. However our JVM
> memory allocation was not accurate enough and the
> Indexes started running OutOfMemory errors on
> our production environment.
>
> It would be much helpful if we can identify the
> requirement for resources pro-actively.
>
> Any help on the matter much appreciated.
>
> We use: Solr 1.4, Java 1.6.0_20

You might get better answers on the Solr list.

--
Ian.