Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Josh Marvel <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/18 20:50:22 UTC

Re: users Digest 16 Apr 2013 02:57:37 -0000 Issue 655

On Apr 15, 2013 9:57 PM, <us...@pdfbox.apache.org> wrote:

> users Digest 16 Apr 2013 02:57:37 -0000 Issue 655
>
> Topics (messages 3510 through 3511)
>
> Re: org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine processOperator INFO:
unsupported/disabled operation: EI
>         3510 by: Wullie
>
> PDFToImage not appearing as desired -- i, BMC, EMC
>         3511 by: Kevin Shannon
>
> Administrivia:

> These INFO messages are causing me issues. I'm calling PDFBox to Extract
text from a PDF file, within a PHP script. The extracted text is output to
the 'console' which I then read in PHP as the 'stdout' from the program.
Errors I read from a similarly piped 'stderr'.

> Now unfortunately getting the return code from executing external
programs in PHP is very flaky and so I cannot use an exit code of 0 from
PDFBox to determine success or failure.  The only way I can check whether
everything was ok is to check the contents of stderr.

> However because of all these INFO messages, stderr may not be null even
though everything is ok (I understand it is safe to ignore these particular
INFO messages). I am forced to having to parse the stderr and use a regex
to delete these info messages and see if there is then anything left which
might mean error. This is not very good practice :(

> So, is there a way I can stop these INFO messages being produced in
stderr? I have tried searching and found some stuff on log4j which I tried
to make sense of, but I've no idea if I'm on the right track, or even how
to use it!

> Please note I am using the pre-compiled jar (pdfbox-app-1.8.0.jar), and I
know nothing about Java and have no way of compiling or making source code
changes to Java!

> I'm sure the answer should be simple (with a log4j.xml file?) but I've no
idea what to put in one, or how to get the jar to read it.

> Thanks for any help
>

> Hi PdfBox team,
>
> First off, thank you for creating such a great utility!  I appreciate the
time and work you put into it!

> I am attaching a particular pdf where there is a field which will not
display.  The "Proposed Insured" pdf fields (pdf field name:
InsuredFullName) at the top of page 3 & 4 displays correctly, but the same
field at the top of page 5 does not.  I do see the expected image if I use
Adobe Reader which is why I am turning to you.  I display the image on a
JPanel using the PDPage.convertToImage() method, but PDFToImage displays
the same output. I have attached the pdf.  I am happy to attach images
separately; they won't fit under 1MB.  I wish I knew more about the PDF
specification, so I could describe what is wrong.

> Here is the command I use and the exceptions I receive.
>
> C:\Users\Kevin Shannon\Downloads\DIIS Downloads>java -jar
pdfbox-app-1.8.1.jar PDFToImage -startPage 4 -endPage 5 -resolution 256
-nonSeq C:\Users\Kevin
Shannon\Principal\MktgIllus\Disability\DIIS\output\output1366056359491.pdf
> Apr 15, 2013 3:15:25 PM org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine
processOperator
> INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: BMC Apr 15, 2013 3:15:25 PM
org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine processOperator
> INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: EMC Apr 15, 2013 3:15:25 PM
org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine processOperator
> INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: i
> Writing: C:\Users\Kevin
Shannon\Principal\MktgIllus\Disability\DIIS\output\output13660563594914.jpg
> Apr 15, 2013 3:15:27 PM org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine
processOperator
> INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: i
> Apr 15, 2013 3:15:27 PM org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine
processOperator
> INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: BMC Apr 15, 2013 3:15:27 PM
org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine processOperator
> INFO: unsupported/disabled operation: EMC
> Writing: C:\Users\Kevin
Shannon\Principal\MktgIllus\Disability\DIIS\output\output13660563594915.jpg