Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com> on 2020/03/10 13:33:08 UTC

[VOTE] [FLIP-76] Unaligned checkpoints

Hi all,

I would like to start the vote for FLIP-76 [1], which is discussed and
reached a consensus in the discussion thread [2].

The vote will be open until March. 13th (72h), unless there is an objection
or not enough votes.

Thanks,
Arvid

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-76%3A+Unaligned+Checkpoints
[2]
http://apache-flink-mailing-list-archive.1008284.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-FLIP-76-Unaligned-checkpoints-td33651.html

Re: [VOTE] [FLIP-76] Unaligned checkpoints

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the overall design and thanks for the efforts!

I totally agree with the plan of implementing the MVP first. However, since
the FLIP is for the whole feature instead of only MVP, how about adding a
*Roadmap* or *Future Work* section to write down plans include (but not
limited to):
* Dynamic switching between unaligned and aligned checkpoints
* Supporting local recovery

What do you think?

What's more, the existing PoC result of e2e checkpoint duration and
throughput looks great, but the recovery/restore time is not mentioned. Not
sure whether we also aim at providing a comparative recovery speed with
aligned checkpoint in the MVP implementation? Hopefully we could (smile).

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com>.
Voting period is now over even with the roadmap changes (forgot to close on
Friday because of all the Coronavirus chaos).

We have 4 binding votes (Thomas, Yu, Piotr, Zhijiang) and no objections, so
FLIP-76 passed.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com>.

Posted by Yun Gao <yu...@aliyun.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

From:Roman Khachatryan <ro...@data-artisans.com>
Send Time:2020 Mar. 12 (Thu.) 01:33
To:dev <de...@flink.apache.org>; Zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com>
Subject:Re: [VOTE] [FLIP-76] Unaligned checkpoints

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 4:11 PM Zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com.invalid>
wrote:

> +1 (binding).
>
> As for David's concern of smaller buffers after recovery, I ever had a
> draft design [1] to solve this issue.
> You can take a look and leave comments if still have concerns. :)
>
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/16_MOQymzxrKvUHXh6QFr2AAXIKt_2vPUf8vzKy4H_tU/edit
>
> Best,
> Zhijiang

> From:Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>
> Send Time:2020 Mar. 11 (Wed.) 21:19
> To:dev <de...@flink.apache.org>
> Subject:Re: [VOTE] [FLIP-76] Unaligned checkpoints
>
> +1 (binding).
>
> Piotrek
>
> > On 11 Mar 2020, at 09:19, David Anderson <da...@ververica.com> wrote:
> >
> > +1 I like where this is headed.
> >
> > One question: during restore, it could happen that a new task manager is
> > configured with fewer or smaller buffers than was previously the case.
> How
> > will this be handled?
> >
> > David
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 8:31 AM Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Thomas,
> >>
> >> it's like you said. The first version will not support rescaling and
> mostly
> >> addresses the concerns about making little to no progress because of
> >> frequent crashes.
> >>
> >> The main reason is that we cannot guarantee the ordering of non-keyed
> data
> >> (and even keyed data in some weird cases) when rescaling currently. We
> have
> >> a general concept to address that, which would also enable dynamic
> >> rescaling in the future, but that would make the changes even bigger
> and we
> >> would not have any version ready for 1.11.
> >>
> >> The current plan, of course, is to continue improving unaligned
> checkpoints
> >> immediately after release, such that we have the full feature set for
> 1.12.
> >> Potentially, unaligned checkpoints (with timeouts) would even become the
> >> default option.

> would

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-76%3A+Unaligned+Checkpoints

Roman

Re: [VOTE] [FLIP-76] Unaligned checkpoints

Posted by Roman Khachatryan <ro...@data-artisans.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

wrote:

> +1 (binding).
>
> As for David's concern of smaller buffers after recovery, I ever had a
> draft design [1] to solve this issue.
> You can take a look and leave comments if still have concerns. :)
>
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/16_MOQymzxrKvUHXh6QFr2AAXIKt_2vPUf8vzKy4H_tU/edit
>
> Best,
> Zhijiang

> From:Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>
> Send Time:2020 Mar. 11 (Wed.) 21:19
> To:dev <de...@flink.apache.org>
> Subject:Re: [VOTE] [FLIP-76] Unaligned checkpoints
>
> +1 (binding).
>
> Piotrek
>
> > On 11 Mar 2020, at 09:19, David Anderson <da...@ververica.com> wrote:
> >
> > +1 I like where this is headed.
> >
> > One question: during restore, it could happen that a new task manager is
> > configured with fewer or smaller buffers than was previously the case.
> How
> > will this be handled?
> >
> > David
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 8:31 AM Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Thomas,
> >>
> >> it's like you said. The first version will not support rescaling and
> mostly
> >> addresses the concerns about making little to no progress because of
> >> frequent crashes.
> >>
> >> The main reason is that we cannot guarantee the ordering of non-keyed
> data
> >> (and even keyed data in some weird cases) when rescaling currently. We
> have
> >> a general concept to address that, which would also enable dynamic
> >> rescaling in the future, but that would make the changes even bigger
> and we
> >> would not have any version ready for 1.11.
> >>
> >> The current plan, of course, is to continue improving unaligned
> checkpoints
> >> immediately after release, such that we have the full feature set for
> 1.12.
> >> Potentially, unaligned checkpoints (with timeouts) would even become the
> >> default option.

> would

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-76%3A+Unaligned+Checkpoints

Roman

Re: [VOTE] [FLIP-76] Unaligned checkpoints

From:Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>
Send Time:2020 Mar. 11 (Wed.) 21:19
To:dev <de...@flink.apache.org>

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>.
+1 (binding).

Posted by David Anderson <da...@ververica.com>.
+1 I like where this is headed.

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com>.
Hi Thomas,

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Yingjie Cao <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Checkpoint timeout in cases of backpressure is hard to tune. I and our
users ever spent lots of time on that. It is great to have this feature.

Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com> 于2020年3月10日周二 下午9:33写道: