Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jan Agermose <ja...@agermose.dk> on 2003/08/28 23:16:25 UTC

Uploading 30Mb files

I'm developing an webapplication that handles big files 20-40 Mb per file. Up until now the upload of the files has been done outside the scope of the application and the application scope has been "limited" to handling indexing document information and locating the documents for user download. Now I need the admins to upload the documents themselves. But I really would like it to be a integrated part of the webapplication. Not using ftp and then handling things in the application as usual. But is it possible using tomcat/commons-fileupload to handle files this size? Will I run into timeouts and size restrictions? I was thinking that an applet might be better, but it is sure simpler to use std. html upload if no restrictions apply?

Jan Agermose

Re: Uploading 30Mb files

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
Can't testify to commons-fileupload (using Jason Hunter's upload
component at the moment).

But I do regularly upload 15M files to a remote Tomcat 4.1 server (I'm
in Australia, it's in the US somewhere).  I don't usually run into any
problems.

RE: Uploading 30Mb files

Posted by Schalk <sc...@volume4.co.za>.
I use the following bit of code to only get the filename:

fileName = item.getName();
            fileFieldName = item.getFieldName();

            StringTokenizer tokenizer = new StringTokenizer(fileName, "\\,
:, /");
            int amount = tokenizer.countTokens();
            for (int i = 0; i < amount -1; i++) {
                tokenizer.nextToken();
            }
            String currentFile = tokenizer.nextToken();

Kind Regards
Schalk Neethling
Volume4.Development.Multimedia.Branding
Tel: +27125468436
Fax: +27125468436
email:schalk@volume4.co.za
:: How do I get the original filename of the file uploaded?
::
:: Jan
::
[...]
:: >
:: > Jan Agermose
:: >
::
::
:: For additional commands, e-mail: commons-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Re: Uploading 30Mb files

Posted by Jan Agermose <ja...@agermose.dk>.

Re: Uploading 30Mb files

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Jan Agermose wrote:

>I'm developing an webapplication that handles big files 20-40 Mb per file. Up until now the upload of the files has been done outside the scope of the application and the application scope has been "limited" to handling indexing document information and locating the documents for user download. Now I need the admins to upload the documents themselves. But I really would like it to be a integrated part of the webapplication. Not using ftp and then handling things in the application as usual. But is it possible using tomcat/commons-fileupload to handle files this size? Will I run into timeouts and size restrictions? I was thinking that an applet might be better, but it is sure simpler to use std. html upload if no restrictions apply?
>
>Jan Agermose

Using commons-file upload I have posted 650MB, & 1GB files.
On a LAN connection the 650MB will take about 12 minutes.

The upload timeouts if you are using Tomcat, can be set from the
server.xml file.