Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com> on 2009/01/06 23:31:48 UTC

January HBase Meetups - SF/LA

There are two HBase meetups planned for January.

The 5th San Francisco HBase User Group hosted by Powerset is a round-table
meeting for users and developers to discuss the most recent release,
features for the upcoming release, and help answer any user questions and
issues.  We will have Skype setup so even if you are not local you are
welcome to join in the discussion.  When you sign-up, please note that you
will be joining remotely and leave your Skype name.

San Francisco HBase User Group @ Powerset
Wednesday, January 14 @ 4:00PM
RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/hbaseusergroup/

The second meetup is the first ever Los Angeles HBase Hackathon hosted by
Streamy.  This will not be a meeting for users or those looking for an
introduction to HBase.  Rather, developers will get together to tackle some
of the bigger changes in the upcoming 0.20 release with some brainstorming,
whiteboarding, and of course hacking.  If you are interested in learning
about the implementation of HBase and what we're working on for the next
release, this will be a valuable event to attend.  Unfortunately this format
is not very remote friendly but if you are interested in contributing but
unable to attend please contact me directly.

We'll be going all day Friday and at least part of Saturday depending on
everyone's availability.  Streamy is located in Manhattan Beach.

Los Angeles HBase Hackathon @ Streamy
Friday, January 30 @ 11AM and Saturday, January 31
RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/hbasela/

Also of interest is the monthly LA Hadoop Meetup hosted by Mahalo.
January's meeting is on the 13th.

http://www.meetup.com/hadoopla/

Hope to see everyone at these events!

Jonathan Gray
Co-Founder, Streamy Inc.
http://www.streamy.com

Re: January HBase Meetups - SF/LA

Posted by Cass Costello <ca...@gmail.com>.
Well, we're HBase newbs here, too, but will glady share what we've learned
so far.
Looking forward to the discussion,
Cass

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cass,

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Cass Costello wrote:
> I'd be happy to spent a couple minutes talking about our investigations into
> HBase.
Excellent.  Lets plan on it.  Thanks Cass,
St.Ack

Re: January HBase Meetups - SF/LA

Posted by Cass Costello <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Thanks Andrew. That'd be great.
St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Ding, Hui wrote:
> Do we have an agenda for this?

Currently, no more than what Jon posted below.

What kind of detail are you looking for?

Here's a first cut.  Please add (or remove) agenda items:

+ Introductions.  Since the number of attendees will be small, lets go
around the room and have each person say a word on why they are
interested in hbase and their experiences to date if any.
+ Would be sweet if someone presented on an hbase usage -- a slide or
two -- but no volunteers at the moment (Anyone interested?).
+ A slide or two on whats new in hbase 0.19.0.
+ Discussion of what should be in 0.20.0; current thoughts would seem to
be a focus be on upping the random-read performance; zookeeper
integration; and new file format.  What else?

We'll try and keep minutes and post the list.
St.Ack

Posted by "Ding, Hui" <hu...@sap.com>.
Do we have an agenda for this?

Thanks!