Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk> on 2006/01/09 13:02:06 UTC

Copyright notices - update everything to 2006?

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 07:39:42AM -0600, malcolm@tigris.org wrote:
> New Revision: 18021
>
> Modified:
>    trunk/subversion/libsvn_subr/opt.c
>
> Log:
> New year, new copyright notice.
>
> * subversion/libsvn_subr/opt.c
>   (print_version_info): Bump copyright year to 2006.
>

> - * Copyright (c) 2000-2004 CollabNet.  All rights reserved.
> + * Copyright (c) 2000-2006 CollabNet.  All rights reserved.

Do we want to update all the existing copyright notices in the tree
for 2006?  I notice we changed them in bulk for 2004 (see issue 1651,
r8016, r8019), but for 2005 we seem to have taken the approach of
updating the notice when we changed the files (when we didn't forget).

I'm quite happy to update everything in a batch if it's something we
want to do.

Also: www/project_license.html and www/license-1.html should probably
also be updated, along with the Python bindings license, but I wanted
to check first if there was any reason I shouldn't change them.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Copyright notices - update everything to 2006?

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
> Well, changing the copyright year in a file that doesn't contain any
> "real" changes is, strictly speaking, a lie. The "noise in the patch"
> consists of one changed line changed file per year... and it really
> shouldn't be that hard to write a hook that checks the copyright date.
>
> Not that I have time to write such a hook, of course... :(

A little while back, I wrote a hook script to check some file content,
including requiring that certain files have a copyright header
containing the current year.  Here's the script.

http://svn.pietdepsi.com/repos/projects/svn-tools/hooks/pre-commit-check-content.pl

I wouldn't say it's polished, but it works.  It currently checks .java,
.c, .cpp, and .h files under "/engineering" in the repository, but could
be easily modified to be more generic.

--
Michael W Thelen
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with

Re: Copyright notices - update everything to 2006?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Peter N. Lundblad wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, [UTF-8] Branko ��^Libej wrote:
>

>> Malcolm Rowe wrote:
>>

>>> I'm quite happy to update everything in a batch if it's something we
>>> want to do.
>>>

>> I think we should only change the copyright year in changed files.
>>

> Unless there is a particularly good reason to do so, why not just update
> all files and be done with it. Less frustration, less noise in the
> patches... I'd say most files get some change over a year anyway.  But I
> don't know copyright, so I hut up now...

Well, changing the copyright year in a file that doesn't contain any
"real" changes is, strictly speaking, a lie. The "noise in the patch"
consists of one changed line changed file per year... and it really
shouldn't be that hard to write a hook that checks the copyright date.

Not that I have time to write such a hook, of course... :(

-- Brane

Re: Copyright notices - update everything to 2006?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Malcolm Rowe wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 07:39:42AM -0600, malcolm@tigris.org wrote:
>

>>New Revision: 18021
>>
>>Modified:
>>   trunk/subversion/libsvn_subr/opt.c
>>
>>Log:
>>New year, new copyright notice.
>>
>>* subversion/libsvn_subr/opt.c
>>  (print_version_info): Bump copyright year to 2006.
>>

>>- * Copyright (c) 2000-2004 CollabNet.  All rights reserved.
>>+ * Copyright (c) 2000-2006 CollabNet.  All rights reserved.
>>

>Do we want to update all the existing copyright notices in the tree
>for 2006?  I notice we changed them in bulk for 2004 (see issue 1651,
>r8016, r8019), but for 2005 we seem to have taken the approach of
>updating the notice when we changed the files (when we didn't forget).
>
>I'm quite happy to update everything in a batch if it's something we
>want to do.

I think we should only change the copyright year in changed files.

But since we've forgotten to do this in the past, wouldn't it be neat if
soneone wrote a pre-commit hook that checked the copyright date?

-- Brane