Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by David Winkel <dw...@umich.edu> on 1999/05/13 18:54:10 UTC

general/4408: Improper error message returned by server when a remote file server is down.

>Number:         4408
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Improper error message returned by server when a remote file server is down.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When a remote file server goes down (in our case, an afs file server), the web
server returns a "Forbidden" error, because it can't access a .htaccess file.
Since the error actually returned when attempting to read a .htaccess file is
"ENODEV", it's possible to modify main/http_config.c to return
"HTTP_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE" instead of "HTTP_FORBIDDEN" in that case.  Could
this change be incorporated into the distribution?
>How-To-Repeat:
Only happens when a file server is down.  (If I could predict those...)
>Fix:
% diff http_config.c-orig http_config.c
1256a1257,1266