Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2001/09/25 00:24:49 UTC

RE: TC 4.0 RPM Packaging - WAS: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Fina l Release

>My opinion is, the binary RPM should contain only Jakarta
>stuff. If there are a
>few required jars that we cannot easily redistribute, then I'm
>okay with
>leaving them out. Maybe we create a new top-level text doc,
>"RPM-README" or
>something, outlining what you need to do if you just installed
>the RPM distro.

I agree so could we have required jars (exception of JSSE) somewhere
in a tarball which could be used to build another RPM

Re: TC 4.0 RPM Packaging - WAS: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Fina l Release

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Sounds good to me, but we'll also probably have to leave out the LDAP
jar as well (based on the recent discussions). AFAIK the Tyrex issue has
been resolved. We can make a short README in the tarball noting which
libraries could not be included.

Having a "tomcat-4.0-supplimental.tar.gz" sounds like a pretty decent
idea to me, FWIW. Those that want it can grab it, and those that still
prefer to download their libraries separately can continue to do that
instead. Are there any other jars that cannot be redistributed because
of licensing or registration concerns?

GOMEZ Henri wrote:
>>My opinion is, the binary RPM should contain only Jakarta
>>stuff. If there are a
>>few required jars that we cannot easily redistribute, then I'm
>>okay with
>>leaving them out. Maybe we create a new top-level text doc,
>>"RPM-README" or
>>something, outlining what you need to do if you just installed
>>the RPM distro.
>>

> I agree so could we have required jars (exception of JSSE) somewhere
> in a tarball which could be used to build another RPM

- Christopher

/**
  * Pleurez, pleurez, mes yeux, et fondez vous en eau!
  * La moitiƩ de ma vie a mis l'autre au tombeau.
  *    ---Corneille
  */

RE: TC 4.0 RPM Packaging - WAS: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0 Fina l Release

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:24:49 +0200
> From: GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: TC 4.0 RPM Packaging - WAS: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache Tomcat 4.0
>       Fina l Release
>
> >My opinion is, the binary RPM should contain only Jakarta
> >stuff. If there are a
> >few required jars that we cannot easily redistribute, then I'm
> >okay with
> >leaving them out. Maybe we create a new top-level text doc,
> >"RPM-README" or
> >something, outlining what you need to do if you just installed
> >the RPM distro.
>
> I agree so could we have required jars (exception of JSSE) somewhere
> in a tarball which could be used to build another RPM

<I-am-not-a-lawyer>
Although there's no technical challenge to doing this, the licensing
permission becomes much more murky.  The standard "permission to
redistribute" paragraph on the other JAR files talks about packaging
inside something with which you are adding value -- and it's not obvious
that your proposed approach would qualify, where it's pretty obvious that
the value add in the single-download approach is a complete application
that includes functionality requiring those JARs.
</I-am-not-a-lawyer>

In general, though, how would making two RPMs rather than one satisfy the
"RPM packing requirements" rules any better?  If the JARs are not supposed
to be packaged in the primary RPM, why is having them in a separate RPM
OK?

Personally, I'd lean a little further on the side of the poor user whom we
force to go through incredible machinations to install and use a binary
distribution ...

Craig