Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com> on 2013/08/17 23:11:13 UTC

What do we need to learn to use Tapestry 5.4 ?

As far as I understand. T5.4 will have a major refactor for the client side
related code. And I've passed by many Javascript libraries names like
Backbone, Coffescript and others.

So to summerize, what new stuff will we, tapestry users, need to learn to
use T5.4 ?

*---------------------*
*Muhammad Gelbana*
Java Software Engineer

Re: What do we need to learn to use Tapestry 5.4 ?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 18:11:13 -0300, Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> As far as I understand. T5.4 will have a major refactor for the client
> side related code.

They're backward-compatible changes, at least most of them. Documentation
will be updated when the release is done. Anyway, this post by Steve Eynon
was everything I needed to start writing my JavaScript under the new T5.4
JS API:

> And I've passed by many Javascript libraries names like
> Backbone, Coffescript and others.

Actually, you don't need to use none of them. Only if you want. T5.4 will
include automatically compilation of CoffeeScript to JavaScript. I don't
know where you took that Backbone was going to be used, because it won't.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

Re: What do we need to learn to use Tapestry 5.4 ?

Posted by Dimitris Zenios <di...@gmail.com>.
Muhammad Gelbana have a look at this
http://tapestry.apache.org/release-notes-54.html

Martin tapestry 5.4 is planned to be released soon.From what I see there
are not many things left to be done.Right now its in alpha 14 and most
probably it will go beta state very soon.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
AFAIK, the main thing you need to learn with tapestry 5.4 is the new
javascript module loading via require.js. Existing js will need require
wrappers. See this thread for some clarification

Also, tapestry 5.4 includes bootstrap CSS/JS so the look and feel has
changed quite drastically. I assume some components have needed to change
slightly to be more "bootstrappy" (eg fields and labels in beaneditform).

There is also the option to write js in coffeescript and css in less. These
are optional and you can continue to code in js and css if you prefer. I
think most of the tapestry js was rewritten as coffeescript, not sure about
the css?

Apart from that, I think it's all the same. I only had a couple of day
playing with 5.4 until I hit this bug and had to switch back
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2060.
Note: That bug is now fixed.

Cheers,
Lance.

Re: What do we need to learn to use Tapestry 5.4 ?

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure I fully understand. So all I need to learn is the new Tapestry
server\client API and that's it ? No specific JS libraries ?

*Muhammad Gelbana*
Java Software Engineer

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Martin Kersten <martin.kersten.mk@gmail.com

Posted by Martin Kersten <ma...@gmail.com>.