Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Siddharth Teotia <si...@dremio.com> on 2017/11/13 22:31:49 UTC

Update on ARROW-1463 - Request for merging java-vector-refactor into master

Functional and Performance testing has been completed with Dremio. We have
seen overall improvement in TPCH numbers. We had about 8000 regression
tests and 12000 unit tests.

I would like to start the process of merging java-vector-refactor branch
into master. The branch has 2 patches with 95% of code changes and a third
patch will be available in couple of hours -- minor bug fixes needed as
part of testing in Dremio.

I would also like to request to not merge any orthogonal set of changes to
refactor branch at this point. It will require grabbing changes again, and
testing downstream and thus increase the timeline of merging this into
master. It is become slightly difficult to maintain local branches with
such volume of changes and work across patches.

Follow-up items in the order of priority:

   - buffer consolidation (sooner but probably not this Arrow release) --
   possibly the highest priority item in the effort to reduce heap usage. This
   was touched upon in design spec but it wasn't feasible to squeeze it into
   the work already done on refactor branch.

   - fate of non-nullable fixed and var width vectors

Thanks,
Siddharth

Re: Update on ARROW-1463 - Request for merging java-vector-refactor into master

Posted by Siddharth Teotia <si...@dremio.com>.
Sure, no sweat.

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Li Jin <ic...@gmail.com>.