Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2005/12/03 20:34:43 UTC

Faces Freeway

Hi!

Inspired from the "Ruby on Rails" Demo in vienna I would like to develop
a "rapid web-framework", "prototyping framework" or call it anything
else for JSF too.

Please have a look at

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/FacesFreeway

I am looking forwar for a vital discussion about it.

I hope I were able to express all my thoughts, if any german speaking
people is able to bring this proposal into a more understandable english
I'll be happy.

The main motivation for this (beside "Ruby on Rails") is that we have
had such a framework in the past (for our home build persistence layer)
and its really a time saver - now we moved to hibernate & JSF and thus
I'll build this again, but now with the hope that others can benefit
from this too.

Jump in!
---
Mario

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ja...@hookom.net>.
Kind of like Rails has scaffolding based on actual DB metadata, it would
really great to specify a single component that would default a lot of
the form behavior based on EJB 3 metadata.  I realize that you have to
do some jimmying at this point in the partial JEE 5 stack, but once
that's out-- all we need is the UI components that can survive long term
with the stack.  You have quite a bit of opportunity to pioneer some
really cool 'drop in' RAD components.

-- Jacob

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Jacob!

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ja...@hookom.net>.
Mario,

If you can standardize on the EJB3 spec, then you can piggy back on
JBoss Seam for TX management and state management while concentrating on
useful UI components-- I've debated this a bit, but JBoss is taking the
route of code generation at this point for rails-ish support, but I
would like to see dynamic UIComponents such as the ones you are pitching
that can work off of reading EJB3 meta data types.

-- Jacob

--
Jacob Hookom - Minneapolis
--------------------------

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Jacob!

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ja...@hookom.net>.

--
Jacob Hookom - Minneapolis
--------------------------

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Alberto Molpeceres <al...@gmail.com>.
On 12/4/05, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> Alberto Molpeceres wrote:
> > I started a time ago a project in SF called Licurgo
> > (http://licurgo.sourceforge.net), altough I haven't take part in its
> > development in the last months.
> >
> > This is a persistence framework based on Ralph Johnson's  Dynamic
> > Object Models
> Do you mean this is a replacement for hibernate?

Yes. What I had in mind was something similar to Oracle's HTML DB. You
can create tables and perform CRUD operations from/to DB directly 100%
from browser. Using a dynamic model allows you to do that in an easy
way: drop war, ask for DB information (or use an own instance of
HSQLDB) and display forms to create tables and fields. Than, if you
like, create automatically  JSF pages from that data or write a page
which renders it on the fly. No more. No java for the user.

That was what I was proposing, but of course this is for a kind of
final applications, not what you are talking about right now.

Bye,

    al.

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Alberto Molpeceres wrote:
> I started a time ago a project in SF called Licurgo
> (http://licurgo.sourceforge.net), altough I haven't take part in its
> development in the last months.
>
> This is a persistence framework based on Ralph Johnson's  Dynamic
> Object Models
Do you mean this is a replacement for hibernate?

Getting the informations needed from the database and/or from hibernate
isnt that complicated, complicated is the way how to present (JSF) them
in an automatic way.
BTW: FacesFreeway should use EJB3 annotations by default to get all this
information, so there should be need to have a database at all.

---
Mario

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Alberto Molpeceres <al...@gmail.com>.
I started a time ago a project in SF called Licurgo
(http://licurgo.sourceforge.net), altough I haven't take part in its
development in the last months.

This is a persistence framework based on Ralph Johnson's  Dynamic
Object Models (http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/DOM.html), and
I have always thought it could be useful for building something
similar to RnR. In fact, we did int in my last company, only we didn't
make much propaganda (neither documentation :-(  ).

I don't know it this could fit in the Idea you have. You can get
almost all needed information from database, so it could be very easy
to do what you purpose in both cases.

Bye,

    al.

On 12/3/05, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the idea!
>
> I am currently so involved in projects that I haven't got a clue if I
> can be of any help, but if I can, I will try to contribute.
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> I am right now in far
> On 12/3/05, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Inspired from the "Ruby on Rails" Demo in vienna I would like to develop
> > a "rapid web-framework", "prototyping framework" or call it anything
> > else for JSF too.
> >
> > Please have a look at
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/FacesFreeway
> >
> > I am looking forwar for a vital discussion about it.
> >
> > I hope I were able to express all my thoughts, if any german speaking
> > people is able to bring this proposal into a more understandable english
> > I'll be happy.
> >

> > The main motivation for this (beside "Ruby on Rails") is that we have
> > had such a framework in the past (for our home build persistence layer)
> > and its really a time saver - now we moved to hibernate & JSF and thus
> > I'll build this again, but now with the hope that others can benefit
> > from this too.
> >
> > Jump in!
> > ---
> > Mario
> >

> --
>
> http://www.irian.at
>
> Your JSF powerhouse -
> JSF Consulting, Development and
> Courses in English and German

Alberto Molpeceres
  alberto.molpeceres@linkingpaths.com
  (+34) 661 304 614

Linking Paths
  Francisco Maciá 11, 7º  -  48014 Bilbao
  (+34) 944 764 328
  http://www.linkingpaths.com

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea!

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Werner!
>> I'll have a look at it, but for what I have seen now, there might be
>> much I really can reuse from them.
Sorry, there is a word missing here ("there might NOT be much")

If you might have a look in their cvs
https://trails.dev.java.net/source/browse/trails/src/org/trails/
you will see there are "tapestry" imports all around.
e.g. trails/component and trails/page do have tapestry imports all
around, but they contains some of the heart of tapestry
They use spring to tie hibernate and tapestry together (see:
http://www.cstengel.de/tutorial/trails_firebird_tutorial/)

And they use aspect-J - not that I dont like aspect-J, but .... I wont
use it now and for this project, it should make our live easier with the
tools we have to handle today and not introduce new technologies.

Also I would like to get in full touch with the JSF possibilities. If
you use a framework which should handle tapestry and/or other
web-frameworks you have to find the least possible set of possibilites.

So, I'll get ideas how they handle the persistence stuff, but even this
I'll reimplement from scratch with the possibility in mind to plugin
JBoss Seam later.

Ok, this is my view today, though, if there is something happening which
will revert my mind it will be fine too.

---
Mario

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi Werner,
>
>>> Inspired from the "Ruby on Rails" Demo in vienna I would like to
>>> develop a "rapid web-framework", "prototyping framework" or call it
>>> anything else for JSF too.
>>
>> Hi Mario, good to hear from you again,
>
> Hope you have had a power outlet in your train ;-)

Hungarian coach from Budapest, not really...

but given the fact that it was a late train, I got some sleep before
having to get up at 7 the next day ;-)

>> Trails .... currently use Tapestry as view target
>
> I'll have a look at it, but for what I have seen now, there might be
> much I really can reuse from them.
>
> 1) the Tapestry output needs to be replaced by JSF
> 2) the whole (bean) controller stuff needs to be a JSF component
>
> But hey, I can take the one or other idea from them.

Actually from what I could gather, you are very correct with your
assumptions, according to the blog, the frontend stuff can easily be
replaced since the whole thing was designed with modularity in mind.
So my guess having a trails jsf frontend would be the best option
instead of going the separate project route.

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi Werner,
>> Inspired from the "Ruby on Rails" Demo in vienna I would like to
>> develop a "rapid web-framework", "prototyping framework" or call it
>> anything else for JSF too.
> Hi Mario, good to hear from you again,
Hope you have had a power outlet in your train ;-)

> Trails .... currently use Tapestry as view target
I'll have a look at it, but for what I have seen now, there might be
much I really can reuse from them.

1) the Tapestry output needs to be replaced by JSF
2) the whole (bean) controller stuff needs to be a JSF component

But hey, I can take the one or other idea from them.

Thanks!
Mario

Re: Faces Freeway

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Inspired from the "Ruby on Rails" Demo in vienna I would like to develop
> a "rapid web-framework", "prototyping framework" or call it anything
> else for JSF too.

Hi Mario, good to hear from you again, I do not thing that it really
makes sense to start from the scratch, the Trails people already have
covered a lot of ground of what you are trying to achive, in fact all
which is neede is a different view target, they currently use Tapestry
as view target for their tools but they said basically any component
based framework should do the trick if the tools are arranged for it.