Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com> on 2004/05/04 23:33:54 UTC

More questions RE: running FOP headless

One of my colleagues is working on modifying FOP to output to multi-page
TIFF (& got it working!). The coding is similar to Oleg's TiffRenderer.
Unfortunately, we're running up against 'headless' issues
(http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html#batik).

My client is running fop-0.20.4 on AIX 4.3 with JRE 1.3 (IBM).
Apparently, 1.3 is the latest version of JRE available for AIX 4.3, so
we can't do the '-Djava.awt.headless=true' command line option. We've
also tried the other avenues indicated in the Batik section of
FOP/graphics. We've also tried into installing some funky AWT
implementation which doesn't require X server. But fonts aren't working
(yet).

In addition, we've tried outputting to -ps (works *great* on AIX 4.3
btw), and then converting to TIFF using ImageMagick, but there are
numerous problems there (binaries break under AIX, source doesn't
compile w/o significant mods to header vars & macros).

Essentially what we want, is to be able to do use FOP to -print under
Java 1.3, without requiring an X-server.

Any ideas?

FWIW, here's the e-mail I received from my colleague RE: the problems
we're having.

Re: More questions RE: running FOP headless

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Have you tried the following already?

http://publibn.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/aixwnpgd/xvfb.htm#HDRXVFB

On 04.05.2004 23:33:54 Clay Leeds wrote:
> Any ideas?

Jeremias Maerki