Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by nagarjuna <na...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/07 13:40:50 UTC

how to run solr in apache server?

Hi everybody.......
         can anybody tell me how to run solr on Apache server(not apache
tomcat)....

Thnax in advance

RE: how to run solr in apache server?

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
> is it possible to add servlet container to the web servers?

Some JEE/J2EE web application servers work well "downstream" of an HTTP server.  WebSphere application server has that capability.  Tomcat has that ability as well, according to the information at http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/apache.html  (I googled +Tomcat +"Apache web server")

Another way is to set up your HTTP server as a "reverse proxy", and have it forward requests to the standalone JEE/J2EE web application server.  You can do that with any web app server -- it isn't really aware of the reverse proxy.  See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html

JRJ

Thank u for ur reply Jaeger, Jay - DOT.........
        so i can conclude that solr will run only on "application
servers"(having servlet containers) and not in "web" servers ............am
i correct?
and i have one more question is it possible to add servlet container to the
web servers?

RE: how to run solr in apache server?

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
Other containers that will support Solr:  just about any JEE/J2EE container.  We have tested under WebSphere Application Server Version 7 -- works fine.  Oracle's web application server would presumably work, too -- just about anything.

Posted by nagarjuna <na...@gmail.com>.
Thank u very much for ur grateful suggestion Erick Erickson.....
         actually i know whole process of running solr in "tomcat","jetty"
and right now i am using solr with jetty but, my requirement made me to
search the process of running solr in Apache HTTP server....but ultimately i
got the point that, i only can run the solr in servlet containers and not in
the other servers those are not having servlet containers..........these
things i got from my research but,i am not sure about these details ...if u
know can u pls corrections abt my research

thank u very much

Re: how to run solr in apache server?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Please look at this page: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrInstall.
Near the bottom
there is a list of tips for setting up Solr in various containers.
Will one of them
work for you?

But if you're just starting, why not make it easy and start with the
example that
is already set up to run in Jetty? Unpack the Solr distribution, go to the
solr example directory and type "java -jar start.jar".

Best
Erick

Posted by "Moore, Gary" <Ga...@ARS.USDA.GOV>.
Solr only runs in a container.  To make it appear as if Solr is "running" on httpd,  Google 'httpd tomcat' for instructions on how to front tomcat with httpd mod_jk or mod_proxy.  Our system admins prefer mod_proxy.  Not sure why you'd need to front Solr with httpd since it's usually an application backend, e.g. a PHP application running on port 80 connects to Solr on port 8983.
Gary

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
That is correct.  Apache is not an *application* server.  It is an HTTP *web* server.  On its own it does not support running Java applications written to the JEE/J2EE servlet specification - like Solr.

(Apache is also not written in Java, if that was what you meant).

Posted by nagarjuna <na...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
You can only run Solr embedded in a Java application (not recommended) or in
some servlet container such as Tomcat, Jetty etc.

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markus17