Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org> on 2021/04/14 21:10:47 UTC

Quarterly Community Report due 4/16.

The Accumulo community has agreed to draft the quaterly reports using the maling list.

Sorry for the late notice on this - I had a vague notion that this was upcoming, but didn't realize until the first email today from Apache that it was due so soon.  Please, if you have any suggestions on Project Activity or Community Health - I find writing those sections particularly difficult. I go from things are fine to writing release notes and have trouble striking the right balance or even if I've included the relevant info.

I'll incorporate comments as received and will submit on Friday to meet the deadline.

Thanks.

Ed Coleman

---- begin report ----

The mission of Apache Accumulo is the creation and maintenance of software
related to a robust, scalable, distributed key/value store with cell-based
access control and customizable server-side processing.

## Issues:
There are no new issues requiring board attention.

The trademark issue with http:www.accumulodata.com is still open until the
domain expires on 2021-06-28.  No action has been required and allowing the
domain to expire was deemed a viable option by Brand Management VP to minimize
volunteer efforts.

## Membership Data:
Apache Accumulo was founded 2012-03-21 (9 years ago)
There are currently 39 committers and 39 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Karthick Narendran was added to the PMC on 2021-01-22
- Karthick Narendran was added as committer on 2021-01-22

## Project Activity:
No new releases this reporting period. Last release dates:
- accumulo-2.0.1 was released on 2020-12-24.
- accumulo-1.10.1 was released on 2020-12-22.

Project activity on the next release remains active with significant
improvements to the current baseline. The remaining issues are being actively
worked.  Highlights of changes this reporting period:
- Removal of problematic process names to more inclusive terms.
- Formalization of public API. Previously, certain internal classes were
  necessary for users for some functions (iterators) - the interface has been
  extracted and formally declared as part of the Accumulo public API.
- Internal improvements handling threads and exceptions to improve reliability
- Accumulo community agreed to participate in an upcoming OSS virtual
  hackathon (April 29-30) The goal of the hackathon is to kick-start
  involvement in the OSS community and foster an environment for contributions
  and increase the diversity of the OSS communities.

## Community Health:
Overall community health is good and activity remains consistent.  Decreases
in Jira (-65%) and dev mailing list activity (-53%) reflect the community
transition to using GitHub as a focal point for development.  This is
reflected in the increased activity for PRs and GotHub issues.
- contributions from 14 individuals reflecting continued community involvement
  and consistent participation.

Re: Quarterly Community Report due 4/16.

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com>.
thoughts and comments inline

Mike

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 5:10 PM Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Accumulo community has agreed to draft the quaterly reports using the
> maling list.
>
> Sorry for the late notice on this - I had a vague notion that this was
> upcoming, but didn't realize until the first email today from Apache that
> it was due so soon.  Please, if you have any suggestions on Project
> Activity or Community Health - I find writing those sections particularly
> difficult. I go from things are fine to writing release notes and have
> trouble striking the right balance or even if I've included the relevant
> info.
>
> I'll incorporate comments as received and will submit on Friday to meet
> the deadline.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ed Coleman
>
> ---- begin report ----

> The mission of Apache Accumulo is the creation and maintenance of software
> related to a robust, scalable, distributed key/value store with cell-based
> access control and customizable server-side processing.
>
> ## Issues:
> There are no new issues requiring board attention.
>
> The trademark issue with http:www.accumulodata.com is still open until the
> domain expires on 2021-06-28.  No action has been required and allowing the
> domain to expire was deemed a viable option by Brand Management VP to
> minimize
> volunteer efforts.

Probably want to link to the mailing list.  There are new boards members
that haven't seen this and those that have may not remember

> ## Membership Data:
> Apache Accumulo was founded 2012-03-21 (9 years ago)
> There are currently 39 committers and 39 PMC members in this project.
> The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.
>
> Community changes, past quarter:
> - Karthick Narendran was added to the PMC on 2021-01-22
> - Karthick Narendran was added as committer on 2021-01-22
>
> ## Project Activity:
> No new releases this reporting period. Last release dates:
> - accumulo-2.0.1 was released on 2020-12-24.
> - accumulo-1.10.1 was released on 2020-12-22.
>
> Project activity on the next release remains active with significant
> improvements to the current baseline. The remaining issues are being
> actively
> worked.  Highlights of changes this reporting period:
> - Removal of problematic process names to more inclusive terms.
> - Formalization of public API. Previously, certain internal classes were
>   necessary for users for some functions (iterators) - the interface has
> been
>   extracted and formally declared as part of the Accumulo public API.
> - Internal improvements handling threads and exceptions to improve
> reliability
> - Accumulo community agreed to participate in an upcoming OSS virtual
>   hackathon (April 29-30) The goal of the hackathon is to kick-start
>   involvement in the OSS community and foster an environment for
> contributions
>   and increase the diversity of the OSS communities.

I would highlight the diversity part, maybe using the subject from Billie's
email and start with something like
"- The Apache Accumulo PMC agreed to participate in an Open Source
Hackathon for Diversity..."
and then again include a link (https://tiny.cc/osshack)

> ## Community Health:
> Overall community health is good and activity remains consistent.
> Decreases
> in Jira (-65%) and dev mailing list activity (-53%) reflect the community
> transition to using GitHub as a focal point for development.  This is
> reflected in the increased activity for PRs and GotHub issues.
> - contributions from 14 individuals reflecting continued community
> involvement
>   and consistent participation.

s/GotHub/Github

Most of the time the board is going to say they don't want statistics from
issues and lists, they want our interpretation of those statistics.  When I
look at the reporter stats at
https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/statistics?accumulo, what I see is a
decrease in mailing list traffic to dev and user, but a marked increase in
commits, issues closed and a slight increase in PRs.  Clearly work is
happening, so the conversations must be in the github tickets and pull
requests.  I believe we setup that to go to notifications@accumulo.a.o, and
the reporter shows a 42% increase in that mailing list

Re: Quarterly Community Report due 4/16.

Posted by Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org>.
Thanks everyone.  The report has been submitted. Text below.

The Apache Accumulo isa robust, scalable, distributed key/value store with
cell-based access control and customizable server-side processing.

## Issues:
There are no new issues requiring board attention.

The trademark issue with http:www.accumulodata.com is still open until the
domain expires on 2021-06-28.  Initial emails are at
[1] and follow-up discussions at [2] No action has been required and allowing
 the domain to expire was deemed a viable option by Brand Management VP in
 Jan-2021 [3] to minimize volunteer efforts.

## Membership Data:
Apache Accumulo was founded 2012-03-21 (9 years ago)
There are currently 39 committers and 39 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Karthick Narendran was added to the PMC on 2021-01-22
- Karthick Narendran was added as committer on 2021-01-22

## Project Activity:
No new releases this reporting period. Last release dates:
- accumulo-2.0.1 was released on 2020-12-24.
- accumulo-1.10.1 was released on 2020-12-22.

Project activity on the next release remains active with significant
improvements to the current baseline. The remaining issues are being actively
worked.  Highlights of changes this reporting period:
- Removal of potentially harmfully terminology to more inclusive terms
  continues.
- Formalization of public API. Previously, certain internal classes were
  necessary for users for some functions (iterators) - the interface has been
  extracted and formally declared as part of the Accumulo public API.
- The Apache Accumulo PMC agreed to participate in an Open Source Hackathon
  for Diversity (April 29-30) The goal of the hackathon is to kick-start
  involvement in the OSS community and foster an environment for contributions
  and increase the diversity of the OSS communities. Event details at: [open
  source hackathon](
  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/open-source-hackathon-tickets-150583967701)

## Community Health:
Overall community health is good and GitHub activity remains consistent.
- Decreases in Jira and dev mailing list activity reflect the community
transition to using GitHub as a focal point for development.  This is
reflected in the increased activity for PRs and GitHub issues.
- contributions from 14 individuals reflecting continued community involvement
  and consistent participation.

## Links
[1]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/514d3cf9162e72f4aa13be1db5d6685999fc83755695308a529de4d6@%3Cprivate.accumulo.apache.org%3E
[2]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rcc8c07db43222e08b9992fd739b8f24d18569ba9af3decfdb52c4a3e%40%3Cprivate.accumulo.apache.org%3E
[3]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r408e3eed907e3ad24a7c84b5247f51973a4c965c891b01215e45ee17%40%3Cprivate.accumulo.apache.org%3E

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.
Looks good to me. Thanks Ed.

Posted by Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org>.
Thanks.  Updated version:
> [...]

> before? It might be good to try to get directly to the point in the
> description, since the board has to look at dozens of these each
> month.
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 5:10 PM Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > The Accumulo community has agreed to draft the quaterly reports using the maling list.
> >
> > Sorry for the late notice on this - I had a vague notion that this was upcoming, but didn't realize until the first email today from Apache that it was due so soon.  Please, if you have any suggestions on Project Activity or Community Health - I find writing those sections particularly difficult. I go from things are fine to writing release notes and have trouble striking the right balance or even if I've included the relevant info.
> >
> > I'll incorporate comments as received and will submit on Friday to meet the deadline.

[deleted]

Re: Quarterly Community Report due 4/16.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.