Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2002/08/08 11:39:25 UTC

Re: esql taglib and autocommit = false

On 22.Jul.2002 -- 10:28 AM, Christoph.Oberle@mlp-ag.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are using the esql taglib. There we realized some strange behavior concerning
> autocommit.
>
> Conclusion:
>  If you want to set autocommit to false, you have to state
>   "<esql:autocommit>false</esql:autocommit>"
>  in every esql:connection you use!
>
>  Not stating "<esql:autocommit>false</esql:autocommit>" in a esql:connection
> resets autocommit to true!

Thank you for reporting this. I'm sorry that my response is
late. After considering the issue, I conclude that since we need to
make sure that at the end of an XSP any transaction is terminated
either by rollback or commit, doing autocommit is very sensible. In
addition, since hanging transactions are a major problem, I believe
that having to specify "autocommit off" on every page is a very good
reminder to remember closing a transaction.

In addition, I believe that one should not use esql for transactional
queries and should use actions instead.

Anyway, I will ensure that this is documented better in the esql
docs.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l