Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/01 20:50:14 UTC

Tag 2.9.1

As soon as we are done with 3.1.0 it would be a good time to go back and
back-fill for a 2,9,1 release.

Who's with me?
Do we need to do an RC? If so, a quick one?

Cheers,
  Jesse

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Re: Tag 2.9.1

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.
Right. I wasn't sure if there were 10 issues to backport or 150. If there
are only a few isolated fixes to apply, then I'd be comfortable with just
applying them, testing and releasing. If there are a ton of fixes, which
might have overlapping effects, then lets spend a day or so with a tagged
rc and have everybody test the same finished product before we ship it.

Ian

Re: Tag 2.9.1

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tag 2.9.1

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.

Re: Tag 2.9.1

Posted by Dan Moore <mo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi folks,

I know this is a dev list, so please let me know if I'm out of line posting (since I am a user and not a dev), but I couldn't restrain myself from chiming in on this issue.

First, thanks for supporting 2.9.x for a while.  As a user developing on top of Cordova, chasing Cordova versions can be tough.  I really felt good about committing to 2.9, especially since 3.x was such a big (good, but big) change.

As a user, I would advocate for:
* having a clear end of life date for 2.9.x (3.5 or 6 months or whichever comes first).  The blog is a fine place to put this, but I'd also add it to the 2.9 docs, announce it on the phonegap google group, etc.
* porting as much as possible back (including iOS 7 support)
* documenting what you can't or won't backport in the blog and in the 2.9.x docs, so users can make an informed choice.

From this thread, seems like you aren't interested in porting new device support back to 2.9.x.  That is a bummer.  Is that because of the effort?

When I read that 2.9.x was going to be supported for a 'long time': http://www.infil00p.org/introducing-cordova-2-8-1-on-android/  I wasn't sure what that meant, but I hoped it meant support for major new versions of devices (especially on the two marquee platforms).

As far as no one moving to 3.x, I would say that when you specify the end of life of 2.9.x, that will be a clear signal it is time to move.

Anyway, I'm sure I can live with whatever is decided, but please do communicate this as clearly and loudly as you can to us users.

Thanks!

--
Dan Moore
Developing with Cordova CLI

________________________________
Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@google.com>.
I don't think so -- I think that a special policy was enacted to help
developers who want to stick with the 2.x series. Some people and
organizations may be unable to move to 3.x, and so we should make efforts
to fix bugs in 2.9 for some time.

The situation for 3.0 is different -- the recommended solution for dealing
with bugs in 3.0 is "upgrade to 3.1".

Re: Tag 2.9.1

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
I don't think so - if we backported stuff to 3.0, wouldn't that just make
it 3.1? (would be just easier to upgrade through npm) :)

Re: Tag 2.9.1

Posted by David Kemp <dr...@google.com>.

Re: Tag 2.9.1

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.