Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Douglass <sc...@swdouglass.com> on 2008/01/04 23:20:51 UTC

[users@httpd] problem with posted data in UTF-8 and reverse proxy

Hi,

Please excuse the Tomcat references below, my question is actually about
the HTTPD reverse proxy feature.

I have a web app that, when viewed by hitting the Tomcat 6.0.14 server
it runs on handles the input of multi-byte characters using the UTF-8
encoding. The application is a web mail client, and it uses HTTP POST to
send the fields of the message composer window to the server.

When I put this exact same tomcat/webapp behind the HTTPD 2.2.6 reverse
proxy, the Chinese characters POST'd via the composer window gets some
other encoding than UTF-8. The end result is that when the user views
the result (say they send the mail message to themselves) the Chinese
characters are not decoded correctly.

For example, I type this into a textarea for the body of the message in
the composing form:

你好 哈哈 孔文

When I post this directly to tomcat/webapp, I see it again when I
recieve the e-mail a few seconds later (Tomcat has a /* servlet filter
that forces UTF-8 encoding on all request and response parameters, also
all JSPs have <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>, and
also <meta HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
and tomcat container definition has URIEncoding="UTF-8"...)

When I post through the HTTPD 2.2.6 reverse proxy, the end result
appears like:

ä½ å¥½ 哈哈 孔文

I've tried as many work arounds as I could search/find/think of
including:

AddDefaultCharset none

vs.

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Neither of these solves the problem.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? I am happy with the HTTPD as a
reverse proxy other than this encoding issue, and I'm using HTTPD for a
bunch of other functions as well (WebDAV, virtual hosting, subversion
repository, etc.) So, I prefer to solve this reverse proxy problem
rather than use some other proxy server.

Thanks!

Scott

Re: [users@httpd] problem with posted data in UTF-8 and reverse proxy

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.
Scott Douglass did speak thusly:
>Hi,
>
>Please excuse the Tomcat references below, my question is actually about
>the HTTPD reverse proxy feature.
>
>I have a web app that, when viewed by hitting the Tomcat 6.0.14 server
>it runs on handles the input of multi-byte characters using the UTF-8
>encoding. The application is a web mail client, and it uses HTTP POST to
>send the fields of the message composer window to the server.
>
>When I put this exact same tomcat/webapp behind the HTTPD 2.2.6 reverse
>proxy, the Chinese characters POST'd via the composer window gets some
>other encoding than UTF-8. The end result is that when the user views
>the result (say they send the mail message to themselves) the Chinese
>characters are not decoded correctly.
>
>For example, I type this into a textarea for the body of the message in
>the composing form:
>
>ä½ å¥½ 哈哈 孔歇
>
>When I post this directly to tomcat/webapp, I see it again when I
>recieve the e-mail a few seconds later (Tomcat has a /* servlet filter
>that forces UTF-8 encoding on all request and response parameters, also
>all JSPs have <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>, and
>also <meta HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
>and tomcat container definition has URIEncoding="UTF-8"...)
>
>When I post through the HTTPD 2.2.6 reverse proxy, the end result
>appears like:
>
>ä½ 好 哈哈 孔歇
>‡
>
>I've tried as many work arounds as I could search/find/think of
>including:
>
>AddDefaultCharset none
>
>vs.
>
>AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
>
>Neither of these solves the problem.
>
>Has anyone ever encountered this before? I am happy with the HTTPD as a
>reverse proxy other than this encoding issue, and I'm using HTTPD for a
>bunch of other functions as well (WebDAV, virtual hosting, subversion
>repository, etc.) So, I prefer to solve this reverse proxy problem
>rather than use some other proxy server.

You are going to need to provide more
information, there simply isn't enough here to
know how these requests are being processed when
proxied. In particular, how do you have the
reverse proxy configured in your httpd.conf file?

Which proxy modules are you using, etc.?

Having those configuration directives will allow
somebody (probably not me, I'm an amateur at this
stuff) to decipher what is happening.

Dragon