Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dimitrios Christodoulakis <di...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/26 15:59:41 UTC

integrating Apache 2 server and Tomcat

Hello,

I have been struggling for the past couple of weeks to redirect
external traffic from the Apache 2 server to Tomcat 5.5 on a godaddy
dedicated server.

We have created a new domain on the server, which default public path
is /home/myadmin/public_html/ when someone points there browser to
www.mydomain.com

At the same time I have uploaded and deployed the application under
usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/

As I understand at this time web content is served by the apache
server and not Tomcat. What I have been trying to do is to have all
pages static and dynamic be served by Tomcat.

Godaddy offers limited support unless we buy into their assisted
service plan. I followed some steps they initially suggested which
involved creating a symbolic link between the default public directory
/home/myadmin/public_html/ and the application directory
usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/ by using the command:

ln -s /usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/index.html
/home/myadmin/public_html

With this I hoped all requests from www.mydomain.com going to
/home/myadmin/public_html would be automatically redirected to the
actual tomcat content starting with the deployed application's
index.html page. But unfortunately this does not work. I am always
returned the 404 error message.

Is there a known or recommended way to resolve this issue? After some
searching I believe there are workarounds involving editing the
/usr/java/tomcat-5.5/conf/server.xml and the etc/httpd/conf/http.conf
files. Would it be possible someone to provide some general steps how
to do this?

Many thanks for any practical help.

RE: integrating Apache 2 server and Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dimitrios Christodoulakis [mailto:dimi.chr@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: integrating Apache 2 server and Tomcat
>
> I decided to try running my tomcat app as ROOT, by deploying it under
> usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/ROOT

That's exactly what you should do, since it's your default webapp.

> However all I get is a 403 forbidden error.

>From what component?

> It turns out that running tomcat from within apache is not as
> simple as I thought.

Don't try to run Tomcat from /within/ httpd, run Tomcat /instead of/ httpd.

> Would there be a quick way to switch off Apache completely
> and have Tomcat take all incoming traffic to port 80?

Don't start httpd, and configure Tomcat to use port 80, as was pointed out several hours ago:
http://tomcat.markmail.org/search/?q=#query:list%3Aorg.apache.tomcat.users+page:4+mid:ywwaxi3ixytgnt6d+state:results

As stated in that e-mail, search the mailing list archives for comments about GoDaddy; you may find them enlightening (and discouraging).

 - Chuck

Re: integrating Apache 2 server and Tomcat

Posted by Dimitrios Christodoulakis <di...@gmail.com>.
I decided to try running my tomcat app as ROOT, by deploying it under
usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/ROOT

It might not be the optimal way, but I want to at least first manage
to access this app by www.mydomain.com

However all I get is a 403 forbidden error. It turns out that running
tomcat from within apache is not as simple as I thought. Any ideas? --
godaddy definitely offers no support on customizations like this.

Would there be a quick way to switch off Apache completely and have
Tomcat take all incoming traffic to port 80?

Thanks in advance

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: integrating Apache 2 server and Tomcat

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Dimitrios
Christodoulakis<di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went ahead with your instructions running the Tomcat app under the
> ROOT context. Disabled the http web server (Apache) and edited the
> server.xml and server-minimal.xml files under Tomcat.

server-minimal.xml is just an example, and has no effect on anything.

> This time www.mydomain.com gives a "Page Load Error", I believe
> because there is no web server listening to port 80. I am not sure if
> by switching the web server component of Apache 2, I totally shut down
> all web server capability. But Tomcat is indicated as up and running.

"indicated" by what?

First, look at your Tomcat logs to make sure 1) it did really start,
and that 2) your app initialized successfully as the default context.

Second, don't use a browser; access the port directly to see what
responds -- `telnet www.mydomain.com 80`. If something accepts
the connection, enter
GET / HTTP/1.0
followed by 2 returns, and see what's returned.

Re: integrating Apache 2 server and Tomcat

Posted by Dimitrios Christodoulakis <di...@gmail.com>.
-Chuck,

I went ahead with your instructions running the Tomcat app under the
ROOT context. Disabled the http web server (Apache) and edited the
server.xml and server-minimal.xml files under Tomcat.

This time www.mydomain.com gives a "Page Load Error", I believe
because there is no web server listening to port 80. I am not sure if
by switching the web server component of Apache 2, I totally shut down
all web server capability. But Tomcat is indicated as up and running.

I am posting here the server.xml files just in case. Any further
comments perhaps on this?

Thanks for your help

server.xml (commented out lines ommited)

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
   <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"/>
   <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"/>
   <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"/>
   <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreConfigLifecycleListener"/>
<GlobalNamingResources>
   <Environment name="simpleValue" type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>
type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase" description="User database
that can be updated and saved"
pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml"/>
</GlobalNamingResources>
<Service name="Catalina">
   <Connector port="80" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150"
minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false"
redirectPort="9443" acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
disableUploadTimeout="true"/>
resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
   <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
</Host>
</Engine>
</Service>
</Server>

---And the server-minimal.xml :

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
-
<GlobalNamingResources>
<!-- Used by Manager webapp -->
type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase" description="User database
that can be updated and saved"
pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml"/>
</GlobalNamingResources>
-
<Service name="Catalina">
<Connector port="80"/>
-
<!--
 This is here for compatibility only, not required
-->
<!-- <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" /> -->
-

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
mg>hopefully brief comments
Martin Gainty

> Subject: Re: integrating Apache 2 server and Tomcat
> From: bmillett@gmail.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:32:45 -0500
>
> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 08:59 -0500, Dimitrios Christodoulakis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been struggling for the past couple of weeks to redirect
> > external traffic from the Apache 2 server to Tomcat 5.5 on a godaddy
> > dedicated server.
> >
> > We have created a new domain on the server, which default public path
> > is /home/myadmin/public_html/ when someone points there browser to
> > www.mydomain.com
> >
> > At the same time I have uploaded and deployed the application under
> > usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/
> >
> > As I understand at this time web content is served by the apache
> > server and not Tomcat. What I have been trying to do is to have all
> > pages static and dynamic be served by Tomcat.
> >
> > Godaddy offers limited support unless we buy into their assisted
> > service plan. I followed some steps they initially suggested which
> > involved creating a symbolic link between the default public directory
> > /home/myadmin/public_html/ and the application directory
> > usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/ by using the command:
> >
> > ln -s /usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/index.html
> > /home/myadmin/public_html
> >
> > With this I hoped all requests from www.mydomain.com going to
> > /home/myadmin/public_html would be automatically redirected to the
> > actual tomcat content starting with the deployed application's
> > index.html page. But unfortunately this does not work. I am always
> > returned the 404 error message.
> >
> > Is there a known or recommended way to resolve this issue? After some
> > searching I believe there are workarounds involving editing the
> > /usr/java/tomcat-5.5/conf/server.xml and the etc/httpd/conf/http.conf
> > files. Would it be possible someone to provide some general steps how
> > to do this?
> >
> > Many thanks for any practical help.
> >

> Well this is how I do it, your mileage will vary.
>
> I use mod_proxy_http with tomcat configured for just a http connector.
> I setup a mod_proxy.conf file for the apache and I'll just show how I do
> it for the tomcat examples.  Apache serves the statis html & images, the
> jsp/servlets are fed by tomcat.
>
> __BEGIN__
> <IfModule mod_proxy.c>
>   #######################################################################
>   # MOD_PROXY CONFIGURATIONS                                            #
>   #######################################################################
>   LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
>
>   ProxyRequests Off
>
>   # Make sure that the virtual host name is passed through to the
>   # backend servlet container for virtual host support.
>   ProxyPreserveHost On
>
>   # Tell mod_mod proxy that it should not send back the body-content of
>   # error pages, but be fascist
mg>what does this mean????????

> and use its local error pages if the
>   # remote HTTP stack is sending an HTTP 4xx or 5xx status code.
>   ProxyErrorOverride On
>   ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/
>
>   <Proxy *>
>        Order deny,allow
>        Allow from all
>   </Proxy>
>
>   RewriteLog logs/rewrite_log
>   RewriteLogLevel 1
>
>   Alias /examples "/opt/webBaseDir/webapps/examples"
>
>   <LocationMatch "/examples">
>      <LimitExcept POST GET PUT>
>         Order Deny,Allow
>         Deny from all
>         Allow from none
>      </LimitExcept>
>      # The nastiness begins, let's fire up the "rewrite engine"
>      RewriteEngine On
>      # Everything ending in ".gif", ".jpg" or ".jpeg" will be served again
>      # directly by Apache, no need to bother the servlet container. As above
>      # this is the last rule as specified by the [L] flag at the end

mg>for performance be judicious in all encompassing regular-expressions ..attempt to make rule as specific as possible
mg>http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum92/2550.htm
>      RewriteRule \.(pl|php|cgi)$ - [PT,L]
>      RewriteRule \.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|html)$ - [PT,L]
>
>      # Everything that starts with a NON-CASE-SENSITIVE match (the NC flag)
>      # of "/WEB-INF" or "/WEB-INF/" is forbidden (the F flag). And again,
>      # this is the last rule (the L flag), nothing will be processed by the
>      # rewrite engine if this rule is matched
>      RewriteRule "^.*/WEB-INF/?(.*)" - [L,F,NC]

mg>also you should leave cgi-bin alone
mg>RewriteRule "^/cgi-bin/.*" "$0" [QSA,PT,L]

mg>http://jonathan.tron.name/2006/07/26/apache-2-0-x-mongrel-mod_proxy-mod_rewrite-configuration

Posted by Brian Millett <bm...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 08:59 -0500, Dimitrios Christodoulakis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been struggling for the past couple of weeks to redirect
> external traffic from the Apache 2 server to Tomcat 5.5 on a godaddy
> dedicated server.
>
> We have created a new domain on the server, which default public path
> is /home/myadmin/public_html/ when someone points there browser to
> www.mydomain.com
>
> At the same time I have uploaded and deployed the application under
> usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/
>
> As I understand at this time web content is served by the apache
> server and not Tomcat. What I have been trying to do is to have all
> pages static and dynamic be served by Tomcat.
>
> Godaddy offers limited support unless we buy into their assisted
> service plan. I followed some steps they initially suggested which
> involved creating a symbolic link between the default public directory
> /home/myadmin/public_html/ and the application directory
> usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/ by using the command:
>
> ln -s /usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/index.html
> /home/myadmin/public_html
>
> With this I hoped all requests from www.mydomain.com going to
> /home/myadmin/public_html would be automatically redirected to the
> actual tomcat content starting with the deployed application's
> index.html page. But unfortunately this does not work. I am always
> returned the 404 error message.
>
> Is there a known or recommended way to resolve this issue? After some
> searching I believe there are workarounds involving editing the
> /usr/java/tomcat-5.5/conf/server.xml and the etc/httpd/conf/http.conf
> files. Would it be possible someone to provide some general steps how
> to do this?
>
> Many thanks for any practical help.

Well this is how I do it, your mileage will vary.

I use mod_proxy_http with tomcat configured for just a http connector.
I setup a mod_proxy.conf file for the apache and I'll just show how I do
it for the tomcat examples.  Apache serves the statis html & images, the
jsp/servlets are fed by tomcat.

__BEGIN__
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
  # MOD_PROXY CONFIGURATIONS                                            #

  ProxyRequests Off

  # Make sure that the virtual host name is passed through to the
  # backend servlet container for virtual host support.
  ProxyPreserveHost On

  # Tell mod_mod proxy that it should not send back the body-content of
  # error pages, but be fascist and use its local error pages if the

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dimitrios Christodoulakis [mailto:dimi.chr@gmail.com]
> Subject: integrating Apache 2 server and Tomcat
>
> At the same time I have uploaded and deployed the application under
> usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/mydomain/

If you want it to be the default webapp, you should deploy it as /usr/java/tomcat-5.5/webapps/ROOT (case sensitive).

> As I understand at this time web content is served by the apache
> server and not Tomcat. What I have been trying to do is to have all
> pages static and dynamic be served by Tomcat.

Then simply remove the httpd server - there's no point in having it if everything will be handled by Tomcat.  Configure the HTTP <Connector> in your Tomcat to listen to port 80 rather than 8080 (or whatever it is now), and comment out the AJP <Connector>.  If there are restrictions on what ports you can use based on the privileges of the userid Tomcat is running under, you can start Tomcat with jsvc or have GoDaddy forward port 80 to a viable port that you configure in Tomcat.

BTW, you might want to search the mailing list archives for other people's experiences with GoDaddy...

 - Chuck