Posted to users@flex.apache.org by "Erik J. Thomas" <er...@linqto.com> on 2018/07/16 20:44:36 UTC

Ad hoc iOS builds still don't run on AIR 30

Just installed Flex SDK 4.16.1 with AIR 30 using the new Flex SDK Install 3.3.2 (thanks, Piotr!) and switched my project to use it. When attempting to run a local build from the IDE using ad hoc profile, it fails with "Installation Error: ApplicationVerificationFailed".

The iOS console output includes: "The executable was signed with invalid entitlements"

As you can see below, the entitlements specified in the .app/embedded.mobileprovision match those in the downloaded mobileprovision used to sign the app.

There was no such problem with AIR 27. I no longer see beta-reports-active in the IPA, so that got fixed. But something else is broken now.

I can build this IPA with an Enterprise/In House profile and it installs and runs fine with no other changes. I regenerated my appID and provisioning profile on Apple Developer portal and tried again. Same problem. AIR 30 doesn't seem to support Ad Hoc installs on iOS.

Can any of you debug or run a local build on iOS using AIR 30?

Thanks!

embedded.mobileprovision file contains (removed our actual team id):

<key>Entitlements</key>
<dict>
	<key>keychain-access-groups</key>
	<array>
		<string>TEAM_ID.*</string>
	</array>
	<key>get-task-allow</key>
	<false/>
	<key>application-identifier</key>
	<string>TEAM_ID.com.linqto.keiretsu.debug</string>
	<key>com.apple.developer.team-identifier</key>
	<string>TEAM_ID</string>
	<key>aps-environment</key>
	<string>production</string>
</dict>

Here are the entitlements from the provisioning profile used to sign the app:

Re: Ad hoc iOS builds still don't run on AIR 30

Posted by robertB <ro...@equationlab.net>.
Just voted for this too - everything works fine with AIR 25 but change to 30
and the ad hoc distribution won't install

Re: Ad hoc iOS builds still don't run on AIR 30

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
>We need to mobilize the kind of response we gave Adobe about discontinuing
32 bit support

Just voted ;-)

Re: Ad hoc iOS builds still don't run on AIR 30

Posted by Douglas McCarroll <li...@brightworks.com>.
Thanks, Erik, for your wonderfully clear input in the bug and thread.

> We need to mobilize the kind of response we gave Adobe about
discontinuing 32 bit support

Yes. :)

Also, BTW, there is/are at least one other bug and several other threads
which all seem to be reporting this same issue:

   - https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/AIR-4198658
   - https://forums.adobe.com/message/10322238
   - https://forums.adobe.com/message/10413519
   - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2489889

> I'm beginning to wonder if the Adobe AIR team was laid off and the
development work was contracted
> out to some service firm that doesn't know anything about the AIR
codebase.

One can't help but wonder what's going on. I tend to assume that the AIR
team has limited resources and has to prioritize (or is it "triage"?) what
they're going to work on. Apple keeps throwing new requirements at them,
and I assume that Google does too, and they'd probably also like to
actually do some new development work and extend AIR's capabilities rather
than just maintaining the platform.

They may think, perhaps correctly, that debugging on iOS with AIR 28, then
publishing with AIR 30 is a viable workaround. I'll be trying this as I
work on updating my app.

Douglas

Posted by "Erik J. Thomas" <er...@linqto.com>.
If anyone on this email list have run into this problem with AIR 30, please vote for the issue here:

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/AIR-4198657 <https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/AIR-4198657>

I expect that most of you are putting off going to AIR 30 because AIR 28, and 29 wasted so much of our time. That's the only reason I can think of why there aren't 100+ votes for this issue by now.

We need to mobilize the kind of response we gave Adobe about discontinuing 32 bit support. That was a group effort.

So please try AIR 30 (the installer works perfectly now, by the way thanks to the Apache Flex installer team) and if you have this problem (unable to run or debug ad hoc builds), please vote and comment and post to the public forum thread that Douglas includes below.

Thanks for your help. I'm beginning to wonder if the Adobe AIR team was laid off and the development work was contracted out to some service firm that doesn't know anything about the AIR codebase. I just can't remember the last bad AIR release. Now there have been 3 bad AIR releases (of course I have to let Adobe off the hook for 28 since that was an Apple decision). Still, even two bad AIR releases in a row is not a good sign.

I am tired of using my Android device for all development and debugging since it takes forever to package the apk.

Erik

Hi Erik, and All,

Posted by Douglas McCarroll <li...@brightworks.com>.
Hi Erik, and All,

Posted by "Erik J. Thomas" <er...@linqto.com>.
Yes. Lemonjar is the tool we use. There are others. An iOS console to monitor log output from the device's operating system is an invaluable tool in figuring out root cause of app deployment problems.

Every AIR developer doing iOS apps should use a tool like this one. We recommend Lemonjar.

Erik

On Jul 17, 2018, at 10:09 AM, Douglas McCarroll <li...@brightworks.com> wrote:

Erik - Is this the "iOS Console" that you're referring to?:
http://lemonjar.com/iosconsole/ - Douglas

Posted by Douglas McCarroll <li...@brightworks.com>.