Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Caraballo, Rafael" <ra...@twcable.com> on 2015/10/08 16:44:44 UTC

Cassandra 1.x upgrade to Cassandra 2.x

Hi,

When planning an upgrade on a 20 node multi DC cluster from Cassandra 1.x to Cassandra 2.x version, does the order of running upgradesstables matter?

What is the difference between:
(a) upgrade Cassandra and run upgradesstables one node at a time;
-versus-
(b) upgrade every Cassandra node, then start the upgradesstables one node at a time?

Thanks,
Rafael

________________________________

Re: Cassandra 1.x upgrade to Cassandra 2.x

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Caraballo, Rafael <
rafael.caraballo@twcable.com> wrote:

> Is there any reason to wait for all the Cassandra nodes to be upgrades
> from 1.x to 2.x before running the first upgradesstables?

Not really, because the new version nodes will start to flush new version
sstables at which point you can't stream from them anyway.

=Rob

RE: Cassandra 1.x upgrade to Cassandra 2.x

Posted by "Caraballo, Rafael" <ra...@twcable.com>.
Is there any reason to wait for all the Cassandra nodes to be upgrades from 1.x to 2.x before running the first upgradesstables?

When planning an upgrade on a 20 node multi DC cluster from Cassandra 1.x to Cassandra 2.x version, does the order of running upgradesstables matter?

What is the difference between:
(a) upgrade Cassandra and run upgradesstables one node at a time;
-versus-
(b) upgrade every Cassandra node, then start the upgradesstables one node at a time?

This is becoming a FAQ, I should write a blog post...

Briefly, until upgradesstables is done, one must assume that streaming operations will fail. Streaming is used in bootstrap, decommission and repair. Bootstrap is required to replace or add nodes, decommission is required to remove nodes, and repair is required once every gc_grace_seconds.

One must balance the overhead of running upgradesstables simultaneously on multiple nodes with the duration of exposure to inability-to-use streaming. Often this means running upgradesstables in parallel on all hosts simultaneously.

=Rob

Re: Cassandra 1.x upgrade to Cassandra 2.x

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.