Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Taavi Kaevats <ta...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/08 13:45:14 UTC

Observations

Hi,

I am actively translating the product to my native, trying to get the
best outcome possible. Unfortunately i am experiencing inconsistency
between major languages(source data), occasionally leading to critical
errors in pootle environment.
If the critical errors shown in pootle are real threat to program
stability, i would like to ask those languages already completed to be
scanned for critical errors; and fixed.

There's one example:
/aoo40/translate/instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages.po#unit=30877573
Apache OpenOffice 4.x /
instsetoo_native/inc_openoffice/windows/msi_languages.po
 Locations: Error.ulf#OOO_ERROR_70.LngText.text
string 30877573

Double spaces  exist in English, but not in German.
&
Failing checks: pythonbraceformat
{by the following process: Name: [4], .. [6]}.
{durch den Prozess Name: [4], .. [6] }benutzt.

Note extra colon, spaces and sentence end..

Another sidenote..

/aoo40/translate/cui/source/tabpages.po#unit=30872478
Apache OpenOffice 4.x / cui/source/tabpages.po
 Locations: border.src#RID_SVXPAGE_BORDER.FT_RIGHT.fixedtext.text
string 30872478 Right / Rechts
String Interval 30872477..80

RIGHT is missing an accelerator in english AND german, while left, top
and bottom all are accelerated. Why? Shouldn't all 4 positions be with
accelerator?

Best wishes,
tavikas
--
Taavi Kaevats
e-mail: taavi.kaevats@eesti.ee

Re: Observations

Posted by Taavi Kaevats <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

> Hi Taavi,
>
> Am 09.04.19 um 18:23 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply. It was informative.
>>
>> There is one more issue i would like to discuss - pure preposition
>> strings in source language ("At" or "To" or "On" for example). It
>> makes me puzzled as Estonian has no prepositions and uses suffixes
>> instead. Translating prepositions alone often is just impossible and
>> wouldnt make any sence in context later, no matter what you put
>> there..
>> In some areas there are a lot of such words to translate.. :|
>
> Can you give an example?
I have work in progress. Here is the most recent finding:
Apache OpenOffice 4.x / svx/source/sidebar/paragraph.po String 30901936

Re: Observations

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Taavi,

Re: Observations