Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/02 17:41:14 UTC

Google Open Source

Hey guys & girls,

have you read about that Google Summer-of-code initiative
(http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html)?

I have several (exactly 4 students) who would love to take part in
this initiative, so all we would need to have would be 4 small
projects they could finish in 3 months work.

The good thing: they are all trained (by me ;) in JSF, have worked
with the framework, have written a small project on their own and that
all using MyFaces!

What do you say? Is there anything we would definitely want to have done?

I have already added a project:
- implementing the architecture for AJAX-based components, this one
would be important and certainly worth a shot

Other suggestions:
- Implementing PRETTY_HTML for all renderers, and getting the html to
be "more" valid than today
- Writing server-side-sort/client-side sort implementations for
dataTable and dataList
- Implementing changes for JSF1.2

What about your suggestions? Would you be interested in mentoring?

Projects can be added at:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2005

regards,

Martin

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.
No, I'm not sure.

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.
Hello Martin,

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, we would definitely have a look over the plate with this student,
and then implement what is best for MyFaces and works well in other
platforms!

regards,

Martin

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
I also like the Ajax stuff.

--
Matthias Wessendorf

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Enrique Medina <e....@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Enrique Medina <e....@gmail.com>.

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Martin Marinschek wrote:
> Hey guys & girls,
>
> have you read about that Google Summer-of-code initiative
> (http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html)?
>
> I have several (exactly 4 students) who would love to take part in
> this initiative, so all we would need to have would be 4 small
> projects they could finish in 3 months work.
>
> The good thing: they are all trained (by me ;) in JSF, have worked
> with the framework, have written a small project on their own and that
> all using MyFaces!
>
> What do you say? Is there anything we would definitely want to have done?
>
> I have already added a project:
> - implementing the architecture for AJAX-based components, this one
> would be important and certainly worth a shot
>
> Other suggestions:
> - Implementing PRETTY_HTML for all renderers, and getting the html to
> be "more" valid than today
> - Writing server-side-sort/client-side sort implementations for
> dataTable and dataList
> - Implementing changes for JSF1.2
>
> What about your suggestions? Would you be interested in mentoring?
>
> Projects can be added at:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2005

An in my opinion interesting thing would be some kind of scope controls.
(Have been carrying the idea for a while now but no time to look into it)
It is somewhat redundant to what Clanhan does in Shale with the dialog
system, but nevertheless, the idea is following.
You currently have only a session and a request and application scope.

The idea would be to have some kind of special tag, <x:scope
scopeName="<scopename>" value="<some storage bean>"/>
which marks a scope, as long as you run into pages which have this
scope, the bean which is stored is not garbage collected, it is kept in
ram, as soon as you run out of the scope it is dumped into the garbage
collector.

That way you could save the serialization vial x:saveState and you dont
have to session or traverse every data you have to move between forms
and formstates all the time.
Shale has something very similar, but more complex, which also
interweaves stacked scopes and page flow, but in many cases you dont
want to tackle another framework and xml syntax.

How about this for a suggestion?

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is also a project I thought about, although AFAIK it is not
specified in the next JSF spec (and in discussion for next JSF specs)
as it will have JDK 5.0 as a requirement. However, it may simplify
configuration a lot...

Regards,

Bruno

Re: Fwd: Google Open Source

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.
For the navigation rules, you can check what XDoclet does.
I think we can do something quite similar, that check all the managed
beans in the current scopes for a matching navigation rule annotation.

Manfred and Craig, how about the specifications ?
Will they ever integrate something like that ?
Could we try to anticipate this in order to not invent annotations that
wouldn't match a later specification ?

Sylvain.

Re: Fwd: Google Open Source

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fwd: Google Open Source

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by cz...@tiscali.cz.

Fwd: Google Open Source

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
How would that work?

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Sylvain Vieujot <sv...@apache.org>.
Another project (ok, I stop after that one ;-) ) could be to implement
default attribute values as web.xml context parameters, as we have for
example for javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD

For example we could define
org.apache.myfaces.component.html.ext.HtmlInputText.DEFAULT_STYLE_CLASS
as "myDefaultTextCSSClass"
org.apache.myfaces.component.html.ext.HtmlInputText.DEFAULT_DISPLAY_VALUE_ONLY_STYLE_CLASS as "myDefaultTextCSSClass4DisplayValueOnly"
in the web.xml, and use those as defaults for the given components when
no attribute is specified.

Re: Google Open Source

Posted by Dave Sag <ds...@visualitylife.com>.
I think this is a top idea.

I'm not sure who decides these things of how but if my vote counted
i'd say go for it.

cheers

dave