Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/09/27 02:57:19 UTC

keeping branches in sync

incubator/lenya/branches/BRANCH_1_2_X/src/webapp/lenya/bin/download_feeds.xml

incubator/lenya/branches/BRANCH_1_2_X/src/webapp/lenya/bin/feeds.properties.sample
<<<

was there a specific reason to only apply this to the 1.2 branch?

i think it would be best to always commit to both branches at the same
time if at all possible to limit later porting pains.

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                          http://lenya.apache.org

Re: keeping branches in sync

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> incubator/lenya/branches/BRANCH_1_2_X/src/webapp/lenya/bin/download_feeds.xml
>

> incubator/lenya/branches/BRANCH_1_2_X/src/webapp/lenya/bin/feeds.properties.sample
>
> <<<
>
> was there a specific reason to only apply this to the 1.2 branch?

no, I just forgot to add it to the trunk. I will do it tonight or
tomorrow. thanks for poiting it out

> i think it would be best to always commit to both branches at the same
> time if at all possible to limit later porting pains.

agreed

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: keeping branches in sync

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com> writes:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
> >  >>>
> > incubator/lenya/branches/BRANCH_1_2_X/src/webapp/lenya/bin/download_feeds.xml
> >
> > incubator/lenya/branches/BRANCH_1_2_X/src/webapp/lenya/bin/feeds.properties.sample
> > <<<
> >
> > was there a specific reason to only apply this to the 1.2 branch?
> >
> > i think it would be best to always commit to both branches at the same
> > time if at all possible to limit later porting pains.
>
> Wouldn't a propagate policy work better here?  We can initially
> commit to the unstable branch, test is a bit, then propagate to the
> stable branch.

I'd rather do it the other way around: add bug fixes to the stable
branch and merge them to the trunk. That way all bug fixes end up in
the trunk and no development features are accidentally introduced in
the stable branch.

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.net   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: keeping branches in sync

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On 27 Sep 2004, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> > Wouldn't a propagate policy work better here?  We can initially
> > commit to the unstable branch, test is a bit, then propagate to the
> > stable branch.
>
> If such a policy is implemented there should be an automatism in place which
> ensures that the propagation candidates are not forgotten.

Hmmm, automated reminders of possible merge candidate makes sense
but not the actual propagation.  Someone has to decide if the
change set is of sufficient quality to propagate to stable.

--
JP

Re: keeping branches in sync

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
> Wouldn't a propagate policy work better here?  We can initially
> commit to the unstable branch, test is a bit, then propagate to the
> stable branch.

If such a policy is implemented there should be an automatism in place which
ensures that the propagation candidates are not forgotten.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: keeping branches in sync

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.