Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Dave MacLean <da...@sap.com> on 2008/04/22 00:22:35 UTC

[Axis2] Performance and scalability for large numbers of services

Hello,
We are using Axis2 to host a large number of web services contained in
.aar archives.  We have some code that will allow users to automatically
generate new services "on-the-fly" that leverages the hot-deployment
features in Axis2, and so we end up with potentially large numbers of
services deployed at a given time.

I was wondering if there have been any scalability tests done, or if
there is a guideline on approximately how much hardware is needed to
host X number of services, etc.  I have not been able to find anything
in the docs or mailing list archives.  Basically, I want to know when we
might start to run into performance problems, and how many services we
can realistically expect to host on a single server.

Is there any data available on this?  Anyone else running a similar
setup that can share their findings?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

RE: [Axis2] Performance and scalability for large numbers of services

Posted by Dave MacLean <da...@sap.com>.
Thanks for the quick responses.  We did run into some perm-gen problems
not too long ago and increasing the total perm gen memory did help.

I will take a look at adding the GC vm arguments listed below and see if
I can find out just how much extra perm-gen each service is costing us -
this should be a good way to figure out a max # of services given our
hardware or the jvm's max memory limitations.  If I find anything
useful, I will post the results.

Thanks!

-Dave

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> I don't have the answers to this, but one thing to watch is your PermGen
> memory for the JVM, we've had to increase this on our Tomcats to handle lots
> of web services that have their jars included in the .aar (as opposed to
> using common shared jars in WEB-INF/lib).  You get to a point where your
> Tomcat or JVM just hangs permanently, often without error messages.
>

> Dave MacLean wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > We are using Axis2 to host a large number of web services contained in
> > .aar archives.  We have some code that will allow users to automatically
> > generate new services "on-the-fly" that leverages the hot-deployment
> > features in Axis2, and so we end up with potentially large numbers of
> > services deployed at a given time.
> >
> > I was wondering if there have been any scalability tests done, or if
> > there is a guideline on approximately how much hardware is needed to
> > host X number of services, etc.  I have not been able to find anything
> > in the docs or mailing list archives.  Basically, I want to know when we
> > might start to run into performance problems, and how many services we
> > can realistically expect to host on a single server.
> >
> > Is there any data available on this?  Anyone else running a similar
> > setup that can share their findings?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Dave

> Anthony
> ------------------------------------- Anthony Bull
> Senior Developer
> Black Coffee Software Ltd
> PO Box 10-192 The Terrace
> Wellington, New Zealand
>
> anthony.bull@bcsoft.co.nz
> Ph  +64 4 472 8818
> Fax +64 4 472 8811
> ------------------------------------- www.bcsoft.co.nz
> --------------------------------------------------------------- This email
> may contain confidential or privileged information, and is intended for use
> only by the addressee, or addressees. If you are not the intended recipient
> please advise the sender immediately and do not copy, use or disclose the
> contents to any other person or organisation.
> Black Coffee Software Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses received
> with this email, or to any changes made to the original content. Any views
> or opinions expressed in this email may be
> personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Black Coffee
> Software Ltd.

Keith Chapman
Senior Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc.
Oxygenating the Web Service Platform.
http://wso2.org/

blog: http://www.keith-chapman.org

Re: [Axis2] Performance and scalability for large numbers of services

Posted by Anthony Bull <an...@bcsoft.co.nz>.

Dave MacLean wrote:
> Hello,
> We are using Axis2 to host a large number of web services contained in
> .aar archives.  We have some code that will allow users to automatically
> generate new services "on-the-fly" that leverages the hot-deployment
> features in Axis2, and so we end up with potentially large numbers of
> services deployed at a given time.
>
> I was wondering if there have been any scalability tests done, or if
> there is a guideline on approximately how much hardware is needed to
> host X number of services, etc.  I have not been able to find anything
> in the docs or mailing list archives.  Basically, I want to know when we
> might start to run into performance problems, and how many services we
> can realistically expect to host on a single server.
>
> Is there any data available on this?  Anyone else running a similar
> setup that can share their findings?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

Anthony