Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Br...@thomson.com on 2007/10/29 22:25:24 UTC

Simple/Aegis model to be supported in the long run?

Hi,

I'm taking a look at web service frameworks. I've played with Sun's impl
of JAX-WS. I've played with (and rejected) Axis2. I'm about to play with
CFX, I've browsed through the docs, but had a question that I could not
find explicitly discussed. Is the "simple" model here to stay?

Perhaps my question is addressed somewhere and I've just blown past it.
Much of the documentation seems to center around the JAX-WS front end
and relatively little is written about the simple front end. Perhaps
because it is so... simple? ;-) One reason I am interested in CFX is
because of the simple model it supports. We do need to support
standards, but in some cases we would like to turn existing non-trivial
code into web services as easily as possible. Not having to annotate
would be a good thing for a couple of reasons.

If we were interested in CFX in part because of the simple model, are we
"safe" going with CFX? In other words, are the simple model and the
Aegis data binding (which we liked when we looked into it) going to be
around for the long haul, or will CFX evolve into a (good) JAX-WS impl
while dropping support for simple/Aegis?

Thanks for consideration of my "newbie" question!

Brian

Brian D. Horblit
Senior Principal Engineer
Thomson Healthcare

RE: Simple/Aegis model to be supported in the long run?

Posted by Br...@thomson.com.
Benson,

Very well put and your strategy sounds spot on.

What I think has become clear is that you are differentiating annotations on your dtos/value objects and on your service methods. That was not clear to me before. I'll agree 100% on the dtos.

Let me go into a little more detail on my view on annotations on services so it might help bolster an argument for the availability of an annotationless method of getting a "web service" from a (hopefully) pojo service. (Quotes explained later.)

Like you, we have a ton of code that is shared. Many domain/value/dto objects. Many services. And some large number of apps (30+?). Perhaps we are victims of our own success. The "services" (business functionality) are shared by numerous apps. Some web apps, some web services. Different apps and different web services use different parts of some shared services. Bread and butter stuff.

Finally, we have a lot of code we wish to expose pretty much as is as web services and we'll be writing *a bunch* of new code that will be used by both a web app (or two or thre..) and exposed as web service. Access control will be handled by our infrastructure and frameworks (somehow accreted onto/into the web services). I put quotes on "web service" above because I guess in the case of a web service being written by us accessed by a client written by us, which is one of our use cases, you would not need soap/wsdl etc. You just need to make "web services" as easily and quickly as possible.

So here are some issues:

- Different web service exposures of a service.
Say you have a java class acting as a service. We already expose such a service with multiple web service apis (XML over http). In app one it has schema one and the schema is dictated to us. In app two it has schema two - we create the schema. In app three its restful. (Right now this is handled in a layer above the service where we write a JibX mapping from Java to xml - or otherwise munge into rest. It's not soap yet, interestingly enough.) If the default way to turn a Java class into a SOAP ws is to annotate the service class, including WebParams to force parameter names, how do you handle the fact you need two different incarnations of the web service? Subclass and annotate twice?  Adapter pattern and annotate twice?

- Messy apis and annotations = unreadable
More of a sylistic issue. We have a few apis that are big in the sense of a few too many arguments to methods and a few too many methods. We could possibly rewrite them but who has time. When you annotate those, including WebParams, it iss essentially unreadable. Only IMHO, of course, but I think it's a real issue. I think this is a fundamental problem with annotations. The code can get messy really fast.

- Embedding deployment/access methods into your service
So, FooIf.java and FooImpl.java are a service. Say a POJO. In app one, its locally accessed. In app two it's accessed remotely with a custom protocol. In app three its RMI. In app four it needs to be exposed as a web service. If the default way to get Foo to be a web service is to annotate the class, what about those contexts in which it is not a web service? The annotations can be ignored if they are not processed by apt/wsgen/whatever. You'd have to get your build to know when and where not to web service-ize Foo, so I know this can be worked-around, but again, this is a problem with annotations. You are declaring a class to be a web service, which in fact should be context-dependant. Which is part of a bigger problem - annotation are often used to put what *should be* config - external config- into code. Which leads me to:

- Depojoization
To go with your noting classpath dependancies for snailed classes, what ever happened to the movement to pojos? We are going to Spring for Pojo services, and then we turn around and annotate a class to make it a web service. You import the annotations, you depend on JAX-WS, for example, and that is no longer a pojo. déjà vu EJB all over again. ;-)

If I'm way off base, let me know. I've not yet really tried to design the our new framework yet, so the issues might not be as vexing as I was thinking.

Brian

And on the web services side

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@basistech.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@basistech.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@basistech.com>.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Brian,

To specifically answer the question:

The simple frontend addresses a lot of use cases that a pure JAX-WS
implementation cannot address.   Thus, there really is no chance that
the simple frontend will be dropped.

Likewise Aegis addresses a lot of use cases that JAXB cannot.  (like
Maps)  Thus, it's not likely to be dropped.   Actually on the
databinding front, we have plans to support other databindings like jibx
and xmlbeans as there are use cases for those as well.

That all said, for the most part, we want to promote the use of the
standards (JAX-WS/JAXB) as much as possible.   Code written to those
API's should be fairly portable.   Also, in a way, it's easier to
document as there are books and stuff written on those topics.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer