Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Erik Vullings <er...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/02 09:27:47 UTC

T5.0.5: How to display rows conditionally in the Grid component?

Hi all,

I want to use the Grid component to display a list of questions and answers:
since there are many questions, I don't want the user to see them all at
once, but instead show them conditionally as needed. For example, when
clicking yes (answer), it will show some subsequent questions (opens another
set/category of questions). How should I do this?

Related to this: is it easy to display a boolean parameter in the Grid
component not as a checkbox but as two radio buttons (yes/no) instead? Or do
I need to implement my own block editor for that.

Thanks
Erik

PS Sorry about the many Wiki messages that were caused by me: as it happens,
I'm currently between houses, and wanted to have an off line copy of the
Wiki. I used the freeware program Webreaper to download all pages
automatically, but unfortunately, it follows all links, including the links
that say edit. And since I have an account and can automatically login, it
uses my authN cookie to access those edit pages too, and subsequently saves
them by following the save link, thereby generating all the update messages.
I'm really sorry about this, but this is also partially a limitation of this
particular Wiki (if the save/edit links would have been submit buttons, it
probably wouldn't have occurred).

Re: T5.0.5: How to display rows conditionally in the Grid component?

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
Is the Grid component really an appropriate choice for this?  I
imagine you want the questions going one per row, with an answer
column.

When a condition is met so that a new question should be shown, your
page could rebuild the list of questions (append new question to the
end) .
The complexities go up if the questions are dependent on each other.

The grid component gives you paging and sorting, are you sure you need that?

I had a similar problem that I solved by using <if> and parameter
tags, because lots of my "questions" were dependent on each other.
Each question has its own form, and using the if/then approach allowed
me to escape the impossibility of nested forms.

Since I am not using AJAX (I am waiting for the official solution for
that), the if/then tree rebuilds itself on each page refresh.  I broke
the problem up into smaller components, each with their relative
dependencies.