Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by Marc Logemann <li...@logemann.org> on 2009/05/16 15:09:02 UTC

strange JPA Enhance stack

Hi,

today we installed our Continous build system (TeamCity) and we tried
to run our first automated build on Linux with OpenJDK 6. Even though
our build works on all client computers it fails with the same (ivy
resolved) build path on OpenJDK 6 wih the following stack. Perhaps
someone can comment on this:

[15:06:10]: [jpaenhance] openjpac
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 5
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at serp.bytecode.Code.getInstruction(Code.java:
2131)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at serp.bytecode.Local.getEnd(Local.java:113)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at serp.bytecode.Local.updateTargets(Local.java:
155)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
serp.bytecode.LocalTable.updateTargets(LocalTable.java:163)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at serp.bytecode.Code.read(Code.java:2031)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
serp.bytecode.Attributes.readAttributes(Attributes.java:152)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at serp.bytecode.BCMember.read(BCMember.java:365)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at serp.bytecode.BCClass.read(BCClass.java:123)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at serp.bytecode.BCClass.read(BCClass.java:144)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at serp.bytecode.Project.loadClass(Project.java:
139)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.openjpa.enhance.PCEnhancer.run(PCEnhancer.java:4491)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.openjpa.ant.PCEnhancerTask.executeOn(PCEnhancerTask.java:89)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.openjpa.lib.ant.AbstractTask.execute(AbstractTask.java:172)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
sun
.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:
57)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
sun
.reflect
.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:
43)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:
616)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:
106)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:
348)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1337)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org
.apache
.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:
41)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1189)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:
758)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:
217)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:257)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] at
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:104)
[15:06:11]: [openjpac] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 5
[15:06:16]: Ant output:
[...]

---
regards
Marc Logemann
http://www.logemann.org
http://www.logentis.de

Re: strange JPA Enhance stack

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Which Linux platform and level of OpenJDK 6 are you using?  Are you
using Fedora 10 and the OpenJDK it provides...?  Are you running x86 or
x86_64 Linux?

-Donald

Posted by Marc Logemann <li...@logemann.org>.
Craig,

my intention was not  to rant against SERP :-)

I already filed a JIRA. I will report things there if i see something
new during my tests...

---
regards
Marc Logemann
http://www.logemann.org
http://www.logentis.de

Am 19.05.2009 um 21:57 schrieb Craig L Russell:

> Hi Marc,
>
> As Mike says, we could be a bit more friendly. By the way, SERP has
> been very reliable so this hasn't been much of an issue to date.
>
> Could you please file a JIRA so we don't forget about it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> On May 19, 2009, at 5:53 AM, Michael Dick wrote:
>
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> Sounds like an unchecked exception thrown by Serp and we could be a
>> bit
>> friendlier about how we handle it. At least dumping the classname
>> that we're
>> trying to load would help. Adding a try / catch might be helpful.
>> Which
>> version of OpenJPA are you using?
>>
>> My guess is that it is OpenJDK related and the compiled class is not
>> matching Serp's expectation. I haven't seen this exception before
>> though and
>> I can't tell you why you're getting it.
>>
>> -mike
>>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Marc Logemann <li...@logemann.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> no, have not done this. Its quite a hughe effort to create a
>>> project from
>>> scratch and deploy it to SCM and configure TeamCity to "compile/
>>> test" it. I
>>> still think its not a library issue because i use ivy within ANT
>>> and the
>>> build system resolves libs the same way as its done on each
>>> developer
>>> machine. The stack doesnt look like a missing lib to me. And its

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Marc,

Posted by Marc Logemann <li...@logemann.org>.
Mike,

i am using:

<dependency org="org.apache.openjpa" name="apache-openjpa" rev="1.2.0"
conf="default->default,sources,javadoc"/>

I am 80% sure its OpenJDK related because the rest of the story is
absolutely the same compared what our people do on their dev machines
but nobody uses OpenJDK 6 on the dev machines. So thats why we never
had problems with that before.

Now the big question is... how to solve :-) I could start patching the
Enhancer classes to get a little bit more info out of it. And i can
increase the Enhancer logging level and hope for more infos there.
Another opportunity would be to use the latest version of Serp and see
what goes on then. Unfortunately SERP seems to be a library which only
JPA folks use so i have not much hope that a newer version will fix it.

Will report back if i have some more infos.... Perhaps its worth a
JIRA, then we can log things. Its hard to track infos on maillists
over time.....

---
regards
Marc Logemann
http://www.logemann.org
http://www.logentis.de

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marc,

Posted by Marc Logemann <li...@logemann.org>.
David,

Posted by Rick Curtis <cu...@gmail.com>.
-Marc

Fwd: strange JPA Enhance stack

Posted by Marc Logemann <li...@logemann.org>.
Hi,

really noone who can explain the stack? I double checked that this is
not a SERP version problem but OpenJPA is the only library using SERP.
Looking at the SERP sourcecode reveals that it is more related to some
dynamic bytecode introspecition and not a version issue.

Why cant the PCEnhancer enhance the entitiy. I dont even know what
entity it is..... After all a very unlucky stack without much infos
for non-JPA developers.

Re: Fwd: strange JPA Enhance stack

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
You may have posted this to the wrong mailing list.

Dave

Posted by Marc Logemann <li...@logemann.org>.
Sorry, wrong Maillist.

PLEASE IGNORE.