Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Andrew Stephen McGough <as...@doc.ic.ac.uk> on 2001/12/07 18:28:48 UTC

Soap and HTTPS

Hi,

(Appologies if this is already answered elsewhere - I haven't been able
to find it)

I'm trying to get a soap client / server pair working over https.

I've got the soap server (apache-soap 2.2) working under tomcat (4.0). I
have enabled a SSL server under tomcat and can interigate the soap
server from a secure page as expected. Ie looking at
https://localhost:8443/soap/index.html, etc gives you what you would expect.

However when trying to launch a service (via httpd) the following occurs:

ive% java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
https://localhost:8443/soap/servlet/rpcrouter query urn:Hello
Exception in thread "main" java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown
protocol: https
        at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:497)
        at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:390)
        at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:344)
        at
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:216)

I know that I need to add the following to my own Client code in order
to use https:

System.setProperty("java.protocol.handler.pkgs","com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol");

but there is nothing similar to this in the source code for
org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClien t.

My questions are as follows:
1) Can you "Launch" services under https?
1) Have I missed something obvious or is there some trick to getting the
above to work?
2) Do I need to modify org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient (and
probably sone other classes) with the above line in order to get things
working over https?

Many thanks in advance,

steve..

Dr A. Stephen McGough
Research Associate, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine,
Department of Computing, 180 Queen's Gate, London SW7 2BZ, UK
tel: +44 (0)207-594-8310  fax: +44 (0)207-581-8024
Assistant Warden, Brabazon House, Pimlico, 5 Moreton Street, London
SW1V 2PN, UK
tel: +44 (0)207-828-4733 fax: +44 (0)207-233-8105

RE: Soap and HTTPS

Posted by Jeremy Levy <je...@yahoo.com>.
I was able to get HTTPS over SOAP working relatively painlessly.. you seem
to be halfway there...
http://xml.apache.org/soap/docs/install/FAQ_Tomcat_SOAP_SSL.html that should
get you the rest of the way... all you have to do is add some code to you
soap method call... and set up the keys (which I found the hardest to do)

I use Apache-OpenSSL with Tomcat..

Jeremy

RE: Soap and HTTPS