Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by 刘孟 <li...@telemap.com.cn> on 2022/04/15 05:38:29 UTC

[users@httpd] [apache]maxconnectionsperchild problem

Hello, Mr Mentor

Recently, when using the forwarding function of Apache,
The [maxconnectionsperchild] parameter in the MPM(perfork mode) is ambiguous within the company.

During the peak hours of the company's internal servers, the number of sub processes(hpptd) of
each server is about 1000,[Maxconnectionsperchild] is currently set to 0. In order to be able to
resolve the  access target regularlyIn DNS, we plan to adjust the value of [maxconnectionsperchild]
to make each child process in half a day that It can be restarted once.

My question is After setting this parameter, if it is possible that 1000 processes are arrive at the same time
resulting in service interruption?

Current server setting of [maxsparechlid = 20] and  [minspareechlid = 10]
If [maxconnectionsperchild] is set, should the settings of these two values be adjusted synchronously
(the purpose is not to restart all child processes at the same time during peak service)

If there is insufficient information, please tell me.
There is my phone below, you can communicate by phone.
But I��m sorry that I just can speak Chinese or Japanese

please forgive my poor English
Best regares
Have a nice work

���� Liu Meng
Project Development Dept.
Tel : 010 82306399-7526 /Phone : 18500386112

������Ѹ�N�_��Ϣ���g���޹�˾ �������к���������·���N·�����|�ϡ��ľS���¥ӥ�A��8F
Address : 8Floor,A Block,NavInfo Building, Southeast Crossing of BeiQing Rd. and YongFeng Rd., HaiDian District, Beijing��100094��

Re: [users@httpd] 答复: [users@httpd] 答复: [users@httpd] [apache]maxconnectionsperchild problem

Posted by Frank Gingras <th...@apache.org>.
The event mpm is not "unstable". You likely read legacy pages that alluded
to the fact that it's still experimental. It is not. The event mpm is the
recommended mpm for production; in fact, even the ASF itself uses it!

Where did you read that, exactly?

Posted by Frank Gingras <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 刘孟 <li...@telemap.com.cn>.
HI, Yann

Thank you for your reply and advices.
I will try to tunning servers with your advices.

It's my first time to vist this community and very glad to
meet you who can bear my poor English.
Thank you very much again.

Best regards.

刘孟 Liu Meng
Project Development Dept.
Tel : 010 82306399-7526 /Phone : 18500386112

北京図迅豊達信息技術有限公司  北京市海淀区北清路永豊路交差点東南 四維図新ビルA-8F
Address : 8Floor,A Block,NavInfo Building, Southeast Crossing of BeiQing Rd. and YongFeng Rd., HaiDian District, Beijing(100094)

> What I want to ask is, will these 1000 sub processes fail at the same
> time, causing my httpd serivce to stop responding.But I think you have
> given the answer
> >because the clients connections themselves will not have the same
> >lifetime (including keep-alive in between requests). In my opinion the risk is negligible.
>
> I think setting MaxConnectionsPerChild will lead to a slight decrease
> in the processing capacity of my server, but the possibility that all
> processes failed at the same time can be ignored.. Is my understanding
> correct

Yes, and I don't think there will be a noticeable capacity change if you don't set MaxConnectionsPerChild too low (the right tuning depends on the number of connections per second).

> in this way, the restart action usually occurs in the busiest period
> of the server in daytime, so I think your advice of using cron is a
> good suggestion. Of course, in order to prevent all httped services from stopping at the same time, I think I should set cron for the servers at different times. Is that I am in the right way?

Yes, and ideally your DNS switches do not happen at the load peak, so there should be too much processes restarted when the cron executes.

> I also thank you for your suggestions on max/minspareservers. The adjustment of them will also be in my plan.
> > you probably should raise it to something more close to MaxRequestWorkers for efficiency.
>
> Do you mean I should adjust it to a daily peak of about 1000?

Yes, that way at the load peak you have the full capacity of processes, and after the peak they should be killed by MaxConnectionsPerChild at some point (without being restarted) hence move towards MinSpareservers, until the next peak..
So you should find the MaxConnectionsPerChild setting that does kill processes too often at load peak but still kills enough processes after the peak (during the ramp down).

Regards;
Yann.

Re: [users@httpd] 答复: [users@httpd] [apache]maxconnectionsperchild problem

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 刘孟 <li...@telemap.com.cn>.
Hello,Mr Yann Ylavic

Thank you for your advice.

What I want to ask is, will these 1000 sub processes fail at the same time,

causing my httpd serivce to stop responding.But I think you have given the answer

>because the clients connections themselves will not have the same

>lifetime (including keep-alive in between requests). In my opinion the risk is negligible.

I think setting MaxConnectionsPerChild will lead to a slight decrease in the processing capacity of my server,

but the possibility that all processes failed at the same time can be ignored.. Is my understanding correct

in this way, the restart action usually occurs in the busiest period of the server in daytime,

so I think your advice of using cron is a good suggestion. Of course, in order to prevent all httped services from

stopping at the same time, I think I should set cron for the servers at different times. Is that I am in the right way?

I also thank you for your suggestions on max/minspareservers. The adjustment of them will also be in my plan.

> you probably should raise it to something more close to MaxRequestWorkers for efficiency.

Do you mean I should adjust it to a daily peak of about 1000?

Thanks for you reply again.

Best regards.

Meng

刘孟 Liu Meng

Project Development Dept.

Tel : 010 82306399-7526 /Phone : 18500386112

北京図迅豊達信息技術有限公司  北京市海淀区北清路永豊路交差点東南 四維図新ビルA-8F

Address : 8Floor,A Block,NavInfo Building, Southeast Crossing of BeiQing Rd. and YongFeng Rd., HaiDian District, Beijing(100094)

> During the peak hours of the company's internal servers, the number of

> sub processes(hpptd) of each server is about

> 1000,[Maxconnectionsperchild] is currently set to 0. In order to be

> able to resolve the  access target regularlyIn DNS, we plan to adjust the value of [maxconnectionsperchild] to make each child process in half a day that It can be restarted once.

> My question is After setting this parameter, if it is possible that

> 1000 processes are arrive at the same time resulting in service interruption?

I suppose that you worry about 1000 processes restarting at the same time hence all issuing DNS requests (which could disrupt the DNS service)?

If so it is very unlikely that MaxConnectionsPerChild triggers at the same time on all the children processes because the clients connections themselves will not have the same lifetime (including keep-alive in between requests). In my opinion the risk is negligible.

> Current server setting of [maxsparechlid = 20] and  [minspareechlid =

> 10] If [maxconnectionsperchild] is set, should the settings of these

> two values be adjusted synchronously

(I suppose you are referring to MaxSpareServers and MinSpareServers here)

If the peak is around 1000 connections then MaxSpareServers 20 is probably to low, if the load fluctuates a little httpd will keep stopping and recreating the processes all the peak time (there are 980 processes above the limit from its point of vue..).

I don't think MaxSpareServers is a good fit for your goal of restarting processes at least twice a day anyway, you probably should raise it to something more close to MaxRequestWorkers for efficiency.

While MaxConnectionsPerChild can help in lowering/restoring the number of processes after the peak, it's not ideal either for restarting processes in synchronization with your DNS because there can still be processes that are restarted just before the DNS have switched and they will not work until MaxConnectionsPerChild have failed..

Did you think of a cron job (or a trigger) that explicitely restart httpd (gracefuly) just after the DNS have switched?

Regards;

Yann.

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org<ma...@httpd.apache.org>

Re: [users@httpd] [apache]maxconnectionsperchild problem