Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Stuart Owen <so...@cs.manchester.ac.uk> on 2012/03/29 11:40:16 UTC

Problems building Apache POI 3.8 on Ubuntu 10.04

Hi,
     I get a build error when I try and build the downloaded src package
for 3.8. This is on Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS) with the latest updates.
     I downloaded poi-src-3.8-20120326.tar.gz and run
 >ant clean
 >ant dist

     after a period of downloading dependent jars, and building stuff,
it eventually fails at:

build.xml:412: taskdef class org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.tool.XMLBean
cannot be found

I guess I need to install a new ant task package, but I can't find a
suitable package for Ubuntu.

I am using the Apache Ant version 1.7.1 that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 and
is updated to the latest version.

Any tips?

cheers,
Stuart

Re: Problems building Apache POI 3.8 on Ubuntu 10.04

Posted by Stuart Owen <so...@cs.manchester.ac.uk>.
On 29/03/2012 11:04, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Stuart Owen wrote:
>>    I get a build error when I try and build the downloaded src
>> package for 3.8. This is on Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS) with the latest updates.
>>    I downloaded poi-src-3.8-20120326.tar.gz and run
>>> ant clean
>>> ant dist
>
> Builds for me just fine on 10.04 with OpenJDK, and the system supplied
> ant (1.7.1), so I'm not sure what's different for you
>

>> build.xml:412: taskdef class org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.tool.XMLBean
>> cannot be found
>
> The jar that provides this should be downloaded automatically, and
> included on the classpath when the task is defined. Can you check that
> xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar was downloaded to your ooxml-lib directory, and
> it's a valid (non corrupt) jar file - try doing "jar tvf" on it to
> check it lists properly
It does seem to be a problem downloading the xmlbeans jar, as jar tvf
reports an error opening the zip file. What is strange is that it always
occurs, I have tried removing the jar file and re-downloading it several
times with the same result. However, if I copy the link and download via
my browser the file is fine.
I am using the sun-java6-jdk which appears to be the only difference - I
will try again using OpenJDK later.

Stuart.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.