Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Security Management <li...@secmgmt.com> on 2009/04/09 16:54:21 UTC

Help with an Expression in a JSP page.

All,

I have the following:

<s:iterator value="exception.exceptionValues">
		<li>
			<s:property
value="personProvider.department([0].top)"/>
		</li>
		<li>
			<s:property value="[0].top"/>
		</li>
</s:iterator>

The second <li> gives me the correct number, but the first does not.  I want
the first to translate to:

getPersonProvider().getDepartment(1)

Which is a valid query in my action.  Can someone suggest how to do that, or
point me to some documentation?  I've read through the Struts stuff here:
http://struts.apache.org/2.1.6/docs/ognl.html

and here:
http://struts.apache.org/2.1.6/docs/ognl-basics.html

I can't imagine it's not possible to call a function with an argument, but
maybe it is, or maybe it's a bad idea and the controller should handle it...

Ognl.org is down.

Thanks!

Re: Help with an Expression in a JSP page.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Charlesmel Carino wrote:
> I think that the department object needs to be declared as a bean
 > first before you can actually reference it.

Not really; OGNL, like JSTL, allows property access.

Dave

Re: Help with an Expression in a JSP page.

Posted by Charlesmel Carino <ch...@yahoo.com>.
I think that the department object needs to be declared as a bean first before you can actually reference it.

Rommel

________________________________

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Security Management wrote:
> <s:iterator value="exception.exceptionValues">
>   <li>
>     <s:property value="personProvider.department([0].top)"/>
>   </li>
>   <li>
>     <s:property value="[0].top"/>
>   </li>
> </s:iterator>
 >
> The second <li> gives me the correct number, but the first does not.  I want
> the first to translate to:

I'm not sure why you need to use bare stack access to get a value from
an iterator, but try "personProvider.department(%{[0].top})" as a
starter. Personally I think if the value is being iterated over I'd use
something more like:

<s:iterator value="exception.exceptionValues" var="n">
   <s:property value="personProvider.department(n)"/>
</s:iterator>

but I don't know what you're actually trying to iterate over.

> I can't imagine it's not possible to call a function with an argument,

Guess you haven't used JSP EL; you're lucky.

> Ognl.org is down.

Use the OpenSymphony OGNL site.

Dave