Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Godrej <ja...@yahoo.in> on 2010/08/18 02:05:04 UTC

[users@httpd] using protocols other than http

Is it possible to use Apache for any other protocol as ftp or so and make it as
a front end to a group of servers running in backend.
As is the case with Reverse Proxy situation in virtual hosting of Apache.

Re: [users@httpd] using protocols other than http

Posted by James Godrej <ja...@yahoo.in>.

________________________________
Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
> If 2 CMSes are generating a URL which is having page elements being served
> at /
> then how do I handle this situation?

Maybe the third-party module mod_proxy_html would help you fix up the
outgoing links that drop the "context root".

This is only needed in the case where the two apps are on the same
backend AND are using overlapping URLS.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] using protocols other than http

Posted by James Godrej <ja...@yahoo.in>.
Eric thanks but I had seen those links.

For this setup I am facing this problem
In all the vhost definitions I use
ProxyPreserveHost On

but all the internal servers which are having domain names as

    ttg.mydomain.com
    kki.mydomain.com
    ppo.mydomain.com
    qqw.mydomain.com

and one one of the above

    kki.mydomain.com I have 16 different websites which have to be accessed as

        kki.mydomain.com/opi
        kki.mydomain.com/541
        kki.mydomain.com/q12
        kki.mydomain.com/msi

 and so on.

All of this are behind a server on which I have used mod_proxy

here I used
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName      ttg.mydomain.com
ProxyPass / http://ttg.mydomain.com
ProxyPassReverse / http://ttg.mydomain.com
</VirtualHost>

(Internally also we are addressing these servers with same domain names)

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName      kki.mydomain.com
ProxyPass / http://kki.mydomain.com
ProxyPassReverse / http://kki.mydomain.com
</VirtualHost>

like this 2 more vhosts now comes the problem the other domains on
kki.mydomain.com
are different type of content management systesm
which we would like to access as

        kki.mydomain.com/opi
        kki.mydomain.com/541
        kki.mydomain.com/q12
        kki.mydomain.com/msi

I tried adding in the 2nd vhost definition as above

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName      kki.mydomain.com
ProxyPass / http://kki.mydomain.com
ProxyPassReverse / http://kki.mydomain.com

ProxyPass /opi http://opi_on_kki
ProxyPassReverse /opi http://opi_on_kki

ProxyPass /541 http://541_on_kki
ProxyPassReverse /541 http://541_on_kki

ProxyPass /msi http://541_on_kki
ProxyPassReverse /msi http://541_on_kki

</VirtualHost>

Some of these content management systems generate URLS
at / and not as
/opi
/msi
or /541
so that my ProxyPass Rules work.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Godrej <ja...@yahoo.in>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 18.08.2010 02:05, James Godrej wrote:
> Is it possible to use Apache for any other protocol as ftp or so

Yes, for example see http://httpd.apache.org/mod_ftp/

> and make it as a front end to a group of servers running in backend.
> As is the case with Reverse Proxy situation in virtual hosting of Apache.

Not sure I understand what the relation to the above question is. If you
want to make it a frontend to another server (the origin server), you