Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Steffen Rochel <st...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/12 05:29:43 UTC

[RESTARTING][VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.4.0.rc2

Dear community -
based on Justin's and community feedback I'm suggesting to restart the vote.
Current status:
binding votes:
+1: 2 votes (Henri, Jason)
-1:  1 vote (Luciano)

non-binding:
+1: 1 vote (Kellen)

The community is investigating feedback from Luciano that the exclusion
file is to broad and potentially missing files which can and must have
apache license headers not to be checked.

Regards,
Steffen

Re: [RESTARTING][VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.4.0.rc2

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.
I think I misunderstood the 3rd party reference to imply Uber instead
of the 3rd party folder. I feel the same regardless, and defer to the
experts on what do do about the 3rd party folder.

As for the other license issues, we don't have to add license info to
readme or informational files. It is specifically called out as an
exception [1]:

"Other files may make sense to have no license header. Three examples are:
Short informational text files; for example README, INSTALL files. The
expectation is that these files make it obvious which product they
relate to.
Test data for which the addition of a source header would cause the
tests to fail.
'Snippet' files that are combined as form a larger file where the
larger file would have duplicate licensing headers."

I certainly wouldn't add headers to the markdown files as this would
create havoc in the website rendering until that is configured to
handle it. Besides, we're covered on these file as we have an Apache
copyright footer on the website. Also from the Apache page on headers
[1]:

"...Our web sites do not have an associated NOTICE file. Instead we
may soon be making the terms of such content explicit through a "Terms
of Use" or "Legal Information" link in the footer of web pages. At
this point, no action is required for Apache web sites."

I can think of a few examples where markdown files are not rendered on
the website, but as they're informational text files they're "obvious
which product they relate to" and therefore I think they can be
excluded.

I looked at the rat-exclude, and if pom.xml files (for example) are
supposed to have licenses, then we should probably add that and
tighten up the excludes for .*xml. But if we can do that in the next
release, that would be great. (I'm not sure how to gauge the
importance of these license headers vis-a-vis project usability.) Not
to muddy the waters, by why is the R package excluded entirely?

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

Cheers,
Aaron

Posted by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the detailed explanation and the help on educating the community, Michael.

People on the general list are spending time to help us get the licensing right. If possible, I think we should be thankful by treating their feedbacks more seriously, making the efforts to quickly fix the problem, and getting our release out when ready. Fixes for the issues found during the release are already going in as we speak [1][2][3].

One thing that the community can benefit from is the clarity on what file types we should remove from the rat-excludes file that we have [4], so that we make the project compliant with the release policy once for all.

-sz

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/14138
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/14141
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/14043
[4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/tests/nightly/apache_rat_license_check/rat-excludes

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Qing,

Posted by Qing Lan <la...@live.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org>.
Team,

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Lin Yuan <ap...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

Posted by Lin Yuan <ap...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
HI,

> based on Justin's and community feedback I'm suggesting to restart the vote.

That wasn’t my suggestion. I was just pointing out you closed the vote too early.

I'd suggest you fix the issue and call another vote on you dev list and then bring it back to the incubator to vote, you could probably do this fairly quickly (if the PPMC agrees) not observing the usual 74 hour waiting period as the changes are minimal and are likely to not include code changes.

Thanks,
Justin