Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> on 2017/10/05 11:12:21 UTC

Tomcat unstable after updating apache http client

I ran into a strange issue the other day.  Running tomcat 7.0.81. I have a
war file with apache http client vs 4.3.3. I was having some issues with my
code in the war and experimented with updating the http client to 4.5.3.
The result was bizarre.

Tomcat would start as normal but stop serving http requests after the first
request.

When running in the terminal,  I couldn't stop tomcat with ctrl c. I had to
force close it with task mgr.

Is this expected?

Re: Tomcat unstable after updating apache http client

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.
Ill see if I can make a test war they'd reduces it to the minium.

On Oct 5, 2017 8:04 AM, "Mark Thomas" <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

On 05/10/17 12:12, Alex O'Ree wrote:
> I ran into a strange issue the other day.  Running tomcat 7.0.81. I have a
> war file with apache http client vs 4.3.3. I was having some issues with
my
> code in the war and experimented with updating the http client to 4.5.3.
> The result was bizarre.
>
> Tomcat would start as normal but stop serving http requests after the
first
> request.
>
> When running in the terminal,  I couldn't stop tomcat with ctrl c. I had
> force close it with task mgr.
>
> Is this expected?

No, not at all. Can you create a test war that demonstrates the issue?

Mark

Re: Tomcat unstable after updating apache http client

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> I ran into a strange issue the other day.  Running tomcat 7.0.81. I have a
> war file with apache http client vs 4.3.3. I was having some issues with my
> code in the war and experimented with updating the http client to 4.5.3.
> The result was bizarre.
>
> Tomcat would start as normal but stop serving http requests after the first
> request.
>
> When running in the terminal,  I couldn't stop tomcat with ctrl c. I had to
> force close it with task mgr.
>
> Is this expected?

Such DoS triggered by a simple client request is a security concern,
as the load is not proportional to the size of request.
It'd be better to send specific details to security@, not a public list
http://tomcat.apache.org/security.html

1. Take a thread dump (better: 3 of them in a sequence). What is
really going on should be visible there,
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Troubleshooting_and_Diagnostics#Common_Troubleshooting_Scenario

2. Tomcat 7.0.82 was released a few days ago.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko