Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Scott Russell <sc...@hotmail.com.au> on 2005/06/02 00:23:52 UTC

Reloadable pages

Hi all,

Currently, as I understand it, Tapestry by default does not reload .page
or .html template files when they are modified, unless the JVM property
-Dorg.apache.tapestry.disable-caching=true is set, in which case .page
and .html files are never cached, and loaded dynamically every time.

Thsi seems to me to offer two extremes - either no caching (with the
performance penalty of constant reparsing of the files), or no dynamic
modification at all.

Would  it be difficult to run, within the main Engine, a thread in the
background that monitored (every minute or so) all loaded .page and .html
files, comparing them against the last recorded update time, and reloading
them if they have changed? This is basically what is done for jsp pages and
it seems to work fine. And it would allow for dynamic modification of the
tapestry .html and .page files, without the performance penalty of completely
disabling caching.

Any thoughts on this?

regards,
Scott