Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Andrew E. Davidson" <an...@apple.com> on 2013/12/11 23:57:07 UTC

how to run compile and packaging before test?

Hi

my unit test require I a *.tar.gz. The *.tar.gz needs to include the 3rd party dependencies and the projects jar file artifact.

I tried using an assembly and setting the phase, so it will run before the unit tests run, how ever my project artifact has not been packaged yet

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Andy

$ mvn -version
Apache Maven 3.0.5 (r01de14724cdef164cd33c7c8c2fe155faf9602da; 2013-02-19 05:51:28-0800)

from my pom.xml

			<plugin>
				<!-- The assembly to builds the topology tarball we install on the Athena
					platform http://joel-latino.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-create-zip-files-with-maven.html
					http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/plugin-info.html -->
				<version>2.4</version>
				<executions>
					<execution>
						<id>createTarball-assembly</id>
						<!-- we can not use package, local unit test will not run eclipse complains
							about process-test-classes <phase>process-test-classes</phase> -->
						<phase>process-test-classes</phase>
						<goals>
							<goal>single</goal>
						</goals>
						<inherited>false</inherited>
					</execution>
				</executions>
				<configuration>
					<descriptors>
						<descriptor> src/createTarballAssembly.xml</descriptor>
					</descriptors>
					<finalName>${project.build.finalName}</finalName>
					<appendAssemblyId>false</appendAssemblyId>
				</configuration>
			</plugin>

here is my assembly file

<assembly
	xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.0"
	xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/assembly-1.1.0.xsd">

	<!-- ref: http://joel-latino.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-create-zip-files-with-maven.html
		http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/plugin-info.html -->

	<id>createTarball-assembly</id>
	<formats>
		<format>tar.gz</format>
	</formats>
	<includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>
	<dependencySets>
		<dependencySet>
			<includes>
				<include>${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}</include>
				<include>aid-athena-common</include>
			</includes>
			<useProjectArtifact>true</useProjectArtifact>
			<unpack>false</unpack>
			<scope>runtime</scope>
			<outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
		</dependencySet>
	</dependencySets>
	<fileSets>
		<!--
		<fileSet>
			<directory>target/classes</directory>
			<outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
			<includes>
				< ! - -
				<include>vela.properties</include>
				<include>application.properties</include>
				<include>rspscheduler.properties</include>
				- - >
			</includes>
		</fileSet>
		-->
		<!--
		<fileSet>
			<directory>${project.build.directory}</directory>
			<outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
			<includes>
				<include>${project.build.finalName}</include>
			</includes>
		</fileSet>
		-->
	</fileSets>
</assembly>

Re: how to run compile and packaging before test?

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Malte,
Great points.
File a few JIRA issues describing the problems that you are finding.
That way they will get on the list of things to do.

I think that you might find some of the books are free in their
electronic formats but are not free if you want paper.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: how to run compile and packaging before test?

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
The link to the free html and pdf books is now

http://books.sonatype.com

These books are cc licensed and we do take pull requests of enhancements.

The source is at

https://github.com/sonatype/maven-reference-en
https://github.com/sonatype/maven-example-en

I have created a patch for the Maven site that fixes the links and
attached it to

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGSITE-194

Feel free to apply the patch and push a new site out. Also let me know if
you need anything else so that the patch can be applied.

Regards

manfred

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Malte Skoruppa <sk...@cs.uni-saarland.de>.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that "Maven: The Definitive Guide" book
which apparently is also free, although you can also buy a printed version.

Posted by Malte Skoruppa <sk...@cs.uni-saarland.de>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 13 December 2013 19:48, Malte Skoruppa <sk...@cs.uni-saarland.de> wrote:
>> Just scanning http://maven.apache.org and its not obvious by the
>> content on the page where the books are.
>>
>> Its over in the menu on the left under Documentation > Books and Resources
>>
>> I wonder if we should add a section under "Learning about Maven".
>>
>> When you might have gone looking, where would you expect to find this
>> info?
>>

> I actually only learned about the books from this mailing list. A new user
> won't usually read the entire menu. They will just scan it.
> To get started with Maven on the website, I only read the documentation
> links under "User Centre". I think it would be a good idea if at least the
> "Getting Started Guide" had one sentence at the very end that went something
> like "To find out more about Maven, check out the <a href=...>books</a>!"
> Then, at least everybody who checks out the Getting Started Guide at least
> KNOWS that there are books ;-)

Ok, I'll get around to patching that.

Posted by Malte Skoruppa <sk...@cs.uni-saarland.de>.
> Just scanning http://maven.apache.org and its not obvious by the
> content on the page where the books are.
>
> Its over in the menu on the left under Documentation > Books and Resources
>
> I wonder if we should add a section under "Learning about Maven".
>
> When you might have gone looking, where would you expect to find this info?

I actually only learned about the books from this mailing list. A new
user won't usually read the entire menu. They will just scan it.
To get started with Maven on the website, I only read the documentation
links under "User Centre". I think it would be a good idea if at least
the "Getting Started Guide" had one sentence at the very end that went
something like "To find out more about Maven, check out the <a
href=...>books</a>!" Then, at least everybody who checks out the Getting
Started Guide at least KNOWS that there are books ;-)

Meanwhile, one doesn't necessarily have to buy a book to learn about the
Maven lifecycle. This is also explained on the website:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html
A link to the Guides index (guides/index.html) at the end of the Getting
Started Guide would also be a good idea, for the same reasons.

Re: how to run compile and packaging before test?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Andrew E. Davidson" <an...@apple.com>.
many thanks

I did not know about the book