Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Mark van der Meulen <ma...@fivenynes.com> on 2013/08/12 10:10:03 UTC

understanding cloudstack networking

Hi,

I am having a little trouble understanding how the cloudstack networking model works, I have read the documentation and enquired on IRC(without response) and still don't really get it. I suspect if I was able to setup CloudStack and play with it I would understand, however given that I have to go through a complex networking setup to get the Zone/Pod/Cluster/Host even setup to start with, I haven't been able to get far enough in to start playing.

Based on what I have read, I think I would like to setup a Public Cloud, essentially some hypervisors on a private network(lets say 10.1.254.0/24) and storage on another network(let's say 10.1.253.0/24) and then all the VM's given public IP's(let's say 200.10.10.0/24). I don't understand how to do that, or even what the difference is between a Guest network and Public network(do they have to be separate?)

I'm used to just building VM's in vSphere and the reason I would like to move to CloudStack is for the automation and ability to give not so technical people access to creating VM's. On vSphere this would be easy, iSCSI and Management on the same 10G NIC with different VLAN tags, and then guest network on another NIC. Replicating this into Cloudstack with KVM doesn't seem possible? Can I use VLAN tagging?

Other questions I have are around the multitude of DNS servers(internal, external, etc) that the CloudStack Management server asks me for when I set up the Pod/Cluster/Host as well as internal and external networks - then how do I assign and make sure all configuration is okay across hypervisors?

If someone could point me towards a good guide I would really appreciate it.

Mark

Re: understanding cloudstack networking

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.
2013/8/14 Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>

> Actually this is not quite true. You can design a network offering with no
> NAT or firewall services and give a public range of ips for the network.
> Or you (the admin) can utilize the default 'shared network' offering to
> create a similar network on a specific VLAN.

Thanks Chiradeep for the information!

--

N.g.U.y.e.N.A.n.H.t.U

Re: understanding cloudstack networking

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
http://www.slideshare.net/ShapeBlue/cloud-stack-networking-shapeblue-techni
cal-deep-dive

Posted by Mark van der Meulen <ma...@vdm.id.au>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark van der Meulen <ma...@vdm.id.au>.
Thanks for your help.

Are you saying that the only way CloudStack supports public(read: networks outside immediate pod) access is via NAT? Can I not give the VM's publicly routable IP's(or equivalent for the network)?

If not, why not?

Mark

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kelcey Jamison Damage <ke...@bbits.ca>.
One last note. As far as stability is concerned... 4.1.x is the recommended build, and many of us(myself included) are running our production on 4.0.2 which is rock solid for all standard features.

Thanks

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
sounds great Ron,

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.