Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Luca Ventura <ve...@libero.it> on 2002/06/13 09:38:47 UTC

Must I restart Tomcat every time I install a new app?

Hello everybody!

I have installed Tomcat 4 as plug-in of IIS to support JSP/SErvlets,
following the instructions indicated at URL:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lampante/howto/tomcat/iisnt/index.html

All works fine but every time I modify the file "uriworkermap.properties"
to add or remove an url to redirect I must restart Tomcat's service....
is it the same thing for you too or I have some error in my configuration?

In fact it isn't a good thing to restart Tomcat's service every time
the administrator must do a modification in Tomcat's configuration...in fact
there could be many user connected to the web sites managed by Tomcat
(they could be executing important transction in that moment!) and they
would be
disconnected!

The same thing happens when I use Tomcat in standalone mode (i.e. as
Web-server
and not as plug-in of IIS): in fact it seems that every time I install or
remove a new site
in webapps folder (and modify the related "web.xml" file for example) I must
restart Tomcat? How come?

Is it possible that the biggest Companies (Amazon, ecc) on the net that use
Tomcat, IIS or Apache as
Web Server or Servlet Container must restart their Web services after each
modification in the configuration? :-(( Or maybe they use more server and
mirroring techniques?

I would like to know if all that I explained to you is correct and how I can
avoid this situation...

Thanks a lot in advance!

                    Luca