Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> on 2005/10/24 18:04:57 UTC

Roller 2.0 release and need for roadmap (was Re: BRANCHING all clear)

On Oct 22, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Allen Gilliland wrote:
> It's a bit unfortunate because we've gotten a bit behind with the 1.3
> release and now we are in a situation where we pratically have 2
> versions ready for release (1.3 & 2.0).

I don't think that's a big issue. Roller 1.3 is for folks who just want
a couple of bug fixes and not a big new release.

> I still think there are some issues with 2.0 that need resolving over
> the next couple weeks, but I think we should probably try and cut off
> the 2.0 feature development where things stand now and focus on
> finishing up the release by finishing up any unresolved issues and
> fixing bugs.  I would also be comfortable with actually finalizing the
> 2.0 release in the next week or two and tagging it, but not releasing
> it publicly for another week or two after that.

Yes. I think that once we fix the PostgreSQL problem we should tag and
release.

> I suppose it would be good to have a simple discussion about what our
> roadmap is.  Stuff that I have on my list are ...
>
> Roller 2.x
> - custom authentication w/SSO support (acegi)
> - presentation caching upgrades (likely with memcached support)
> - standardize weblog templates (Weblog, _day, _css, _decorator)
> - more spam prevention measures (comments & trackbacks)
> - more flexible url structure
> - auditing
> - instrumentation
> - theme improvements (rewrite?)
>
> Roller 3.x
> - tagging support
> - more complete dashboard

That's a good summary and I think it would be great if we could agree
on a Roller roadmap for the upcoming months. A roadmap should make it
easier for us to coordinate our development.

I'm going to work on a proposal for spam prevention measure this week.
I've setup release 2.1 in JIRA, so we can track improvements there (and
point to proposals on the wiki).

- Dave

Re: Roller 2.0 release and need for roadmap (was Re: BRANCHING all clear)

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Dave Johnson wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Allen Gilliland wrote:
>
>> It's a bit unfortunate because we've gotten a bit behind with the 1.3
>> release and now we are in a situation where we pratically have 2
>> versions ready for release (1.3 & 2.0).
>

> I don't think that's a big issue. Roller 1.3 is for folks who just
> want a couple of bug fixes and not a big new release.
>

>> I still think there are some issues with 2.0 that need resolving over
>> the next couple weeks, but I think we should probably try and cut off
>> the 2.0 feature development where things stand now and focus on
>> finishing up the release by finishing up any unresolved issues and
>> fixing bugs.  I would also be comfortable with actually finalizing
>> the 2.0 release in the next week or two and tagging it, but not
>> releasing it publicly for another week or two after that.
>

> Yes. I think that once we fix the PostgreSQL problem we should tag and
> release.

I think its close, but it needs a bit more chill time and QA.  There's a
lot of new stuff that only Dave and Allen have really had an opportunity
to check out.