Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Adrian Sutton <Ad...@Ephox.com> on 2003/05/09 00:47:58 UTC

RE: [HTTPCLIENT] different exception when reading response timed out

Hi Jen,
Hmmm, it seems you can't.  Generally, a HttpRecoverableException (as the
name suggests) means that a retry should work in theory whereas a plain
HttpException means that a retry will most likely fail.  Since HttpClient is
largely intended to remove the need to deal with the Http communication this
distinction is generally enough for people, it seems however it's not enough
for you.

Ideally I suppose the originating exception would be made available through
a getCause() type method to offer more flexibility and this wouldn't be too
difficult to add.  However, HttpClient is desperately trying to get 2.0 beta
1 out the door so I'll have to leave the decision on the exact timing of
this change (or perhaps the HttpClient developers will have an even better
solution).  I would strongly urge you to log a bug in bugzilla
(http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla) with this request and include as much
detail about your specific use case as possible.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
Ephox Corporation
www.ephox.com