Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2009/04/27 05:43:25 UTC

New committers

Hi All,

Christian Grobmeier and myself have been added as committers to the log4php
project.

Hopefully soon we'll get our act together and start looking at those patches
that some of you have attached to our issue tracker [1] (Christian I have
added you to the projects issue tracker so you can now assign issues to
yourself should you feel the urge :) )

For my part, I'd like to help with patches where I can, update the website
[2] and the Incubator page [3]. With luck I'd also like to help with the
direction of the project in general, look forward to helping get us an
incubator release out (the first!) of the door and onwards to promotion from
the Incubator as a sub-project of logging.apache.org the sponsoring project.
(That last one could take a while).

Anyway, those of you that are still here, anything you want concentrating on
first, or any comments in general about the project, fire away!

Gav...

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4PHP

[2] - http://incubator.apache.org/log4php/

[3] - http://incubator.apache.org/projects/log4php.html

Re: New committers

Posted by Knut Urdalen <kn...@php.no>.
Gavin wrote:
> I have created versions 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 in Jira.
> All current issues (open/closed/resolved) have all been added to the 2.0
> version. As new issues arrive we can decide as and when what issue they
> belong to.

Nice :)
> I have created 'Documentation', 'Website' and 'Tests' Components. It would
> be great if someone could recommend some more components to break the
> project down into (as far as Jira is concerned).

I've also added the "Code"-component ;)

Knut

RE: New committers

Posted by Knut Urdalen <kn...@php.no>.

RE: New committers

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Knut Urdalen <kn...@php.no>.

RE: New committers

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

You may have been very busy or living on Mars :)

You should check the incubator mailing list and board reports. The project
had become inactive that it was worrying to the point that it was talked
about being closed down due to inactivity. No three monthly board reports
were being sent and no responses from the committers and mentors.

Christian has been a lone figure on the list these last 3 months (supplying
patches with no chance of them being committed) and I offered to step in and
help and try and resurrect. I actually mentioned removing committers and
mentors during another reboot of the project. Myself and Niclas Hedhman are
new Mentors along with myself and Christian as new committers (though my
help there won't be nearly as good as Christians.)

Look for 'Getting log4php going again' started 22/03/09.
Also check the March 2009 board report.
Also check 'RE: March 2009 Incubator Board Report' thread on incubator list
started on 17/03/09.
Look for discussion started on this mail list December 2008 and January 2009
that only Jim responded to.

The above are aimed to be helpful so you get caught up to date with the full
picture and are not meant to criticise anyone, we can all be busy with other
stuff for periods of time. The main factor I guess was no feedback was
forthcoming.

Anyway, no problem, the best thing to come from this is a new lease of life
and hopefully a release out of the door soon-ish :)

Gav...

Re: New committers

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> Christian Grobmeier, as you said, was an obvious choice and wanted
>> commit. He already had an account and his iCLA was on file, so I
>> added him to the commit list for log4php.
>
> I also support this decision. Sometimes it is necessary to be flexible
> to get moving again...

Even when the kind of getting into the project was a bit unusual - it
has worked. Everything looks more alive now and even old log4php
rockstars are back on stage. Thats great :-) Log4php is a too
important project to die young

Christian

Re: New committers

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Apr 28, 2009, at 9:14 AM, Curt Arnold wrote:
>
>> Good to see some new faces, but I'm curious about how it happened.  I
>> don't recall any discussion or votes and I didn't request new accounts or
>> make changes to the SVN authorization file.
>>

> Christian Grobmeier, as you said, was an obvious choice and wanted
> commit. He already had an account and his iCLA was on file, so I
> added him to the commit list for log4php.

I also support this decision. Sometimes it is necessary to be flexible
to get moving again...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: New committers

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> Christian Grobmeier and myself have been added as committers to the log4php
> project.

Cool you finally made it too ;-)

> Hopefully soon we'll get our act together and start looking at those patches
> that some of you have attached to our issue tracker [1] (Christian I have
> added you to the projects issue tracker so you can now assign issues to
> yourself should you feel the urge :) )

Thanks, you read my thoughts - I will go through the issues next days
and brin up to discussion what needs to be discussed

> For my part, I'd like to help with patches where I can, update the website
> [2] and the Incubator page [3]. With luck I'd also like to help with the
> direction of the project in general, look forward to helping get us an
> incubator release out (the first!) of the door and onwards to promotion from
> the Incubator as a sub-project of logging.apache.org the sponsoring project.
> (That last one could take a while).

I am glad that with you an more expierenced committer than i am is
involved in this project.

Cheers!
Christian

Re: New committers

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> Christian Grobmeier and myself have been added as committers to the log4php
> project.

Cool you finally made it too ;-)

Re: New committers

Posted by Knut Urdalen <kn...@php.no>.