Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Rob Adams <ro...@on-sitemanager.com> on 2004/01/07 20:48:11 UTC

cocoon class loading and garbage collection

I'm continuing to investigate my problem with cocoon causing OutOfMemory
errors.

Merely visiting a large number of pages using cocoon causes the VM to
run out of memory.  When in Sun's JRE it reports OutOfMemory exceptions
after visiting a large number of pages; with IBM's the JRE actually
dumps core.  This is happening even when I repeatedly visit a small
number of pages that don't need to be recompiled, after something like
1000 requests.

When it crashes, there is plenty of heap space as reported by
Runtime.freeMemory(); however the memory size of the JVM itself
gradually grows until it eventually fails as previously mentioned.

This leads me to believe that perhaps the classes aren't being garbage
collected.  Does cocoon have any mechanism for ensuring that it frees
references to unused classes?  Will these classes be garbage collected?
Is there anything I can do to ensure that they are?

Thanks,
Rob