Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Vedire Srikanth-FSV003 <Sr...@motorola.com> on 2001/03/22 17:01:56 UTC

wml + xerces + newbie = ????

I've been trying to use DOMParser for parsing a WML document. I can traverse
the tree and look at attributes from a NodeImpl perspective. Since there are
a bunch of classes which deal with WML I was hoping I could use the
following hierarchy of classes
DocumentImpl -> WMLDocumentImpl -> WMLxxxImpl.

Unfortunately when I traverse the tree using getFirstChild(), the class
hierarchy goes from DocumentImpl -> DocumentTypeImpl -> .......

Has anyone tried  parsing WML documents before?

Srikanth
PS: I'm a java newbie in addition to all my other problems. :-)

RE: wml + xerces + newbie = ????

Posted by "Derek Hachey (UNB)" <v1...@unb.ca>.
After the getFirstChild() call, can you make a call to nextSibling() and
return a useful node?  If you are a newbie, watch out for what I call
garbage text nodes.  You can identify these by only seeing a couple of
control characters in the text node.  You can move passed these nodes by
going to the next sibling.  You could eventually create a filter.  I suspect
that the DocumentTypeImpl is the document type decleration, so that's to be
expected.

Hope this helps.

Derek