Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dotan Cohen <do...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/09 18:16:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Changing Document Root

I had apache working great, serving pages from the
/home/dotan/www/public_html directory as DocumentRoot. Now that I want
to move it back to the default /var/www/html I am getting this error
(after making the appropriate changes to httpd.conf and restarting the
server):
Forbidden

So I checked the FAQs at apache.org, and I see that:
* The underlying file system permissions do not allow the User/Group
under which Apache is running to access the necessary files; or
* The Apache configuration has some access restrictions in place which
forbid access to the files.

My log looks like this:
[Sun Oct 09 17:58:05 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission
denied: access to / denied

So how do I change my permissions so that apache can access the files
in /var/www and also, so that the user 'work' can read and write to
those files as well? Thanks all in advance for excusing my ignorance.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/internet/index.php

Re: [users@httpd] Changing Document Root

Posted by Dotan Cohen <do...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/05, Joshua Kogut <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I only get this on my *nix systems when the server is trying to access
> something with double slashes, like  //var/www, or something similar. Make
> sure to check the small things like syntax. Other than that, I can offer no
> other help.

Thanks, but there don't seem to be any double slashs in my config
file. Further googleing leads me to believe that this may be a
permissions problem, but I don't know where to start. I'm not very
proficient in linux. How can I tell the system that user 'apache' can
access the directory?

Dotan
http://technology-sleuth.com/internet/email.php

Re: [users@httpd] Changing Document Root