Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Yossi Tamari <yo...@pipl.com> on 2018/09/04 15:52:54 UTC

IndexWriter interface in 1.15

Hi,

I missed it at the time, but I just realized (the hard way) that the
IndexWriter interface was changed in 1.15 in ways that are not backward
compatible.

That means that any custom IndexWriter implementation will no longer
compile, and probably will not run either.

I think this was a mistake (maybe a new interface should have been created,
and the old one deprecated and supported for now, or just the old methods
deprecated without change, and the new methods provided with a default
implementation), but it's too late now.

I still think this is something that should be highlighted in the release
note for 1.15 (meaning at the top, as "breaking changes").

The main changes I encountered:

1.	setConf and getConf were removed from the interface (without
deprecation).
2.	open was deprecated (that's fine), and its signature was changed
(from JobConf to Configuration), which means it a completely different
function technically, and there is no point in the deprecation.

Yossi.