Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Vijendra Rai <vr...@guidewire.com> on 2008/09/20 01:12:05 UTC

Log4j Version # 1.2.8 occasionally stops logging without any error message

Hi,

I work as technical support Engineer at a software company We use log4j
within our applications for logging,

It is a java based application running under WebLogic version 8.1 and
Sun JVM 1.4.2

One of our customer reported that occasionally Log4j stops logging
without any apparent reason.

I had asked them to check if the log file was being locked/opened by
another application, but that was not the case.

Then, I asked them to turn on debugging for Lof4j by using these
options.

-Dlog4j.debug=true -Dlog4j.configDebug=true

I can see additional logging messages coming into the server console
now, but it does not provide any indication of

why sometime logging stops. Can someone provide some ideas what I should
do next? Is this a Log4j bug?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Vin

Re: Log4j Version # 1.2.8 occasionally stops logging without any error message

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Sep 19, 2008, at 6:12 PM, Vijendra Rai wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I work as technical support Engineer at a software company We use
> log4j
> within our applications for logging,
>
> It is a java based application running under WebLogic version 8.1 and
> Sun JVM 1.4.2
>

> One of our customer reported that occasionally Log4j stops logging
> without any apparent reason.
>
> I had asked them to check if the log file was being locked/opened by
> another application, but that was not the case.
>
> Then, I asked them to turn on debugging for Lof4j by using these
> options.
>

> -Dlog4j.debug=true -Dlog4j.configDebug=true
>

> I can see additional logging messages coming into the server console
> now, but it does not provide any indication of
>
> why sometime logging stops. Can someone provide some ideas what I
> should
> do next? Is this a Log4j bug?
>

> Thanks for your help in advance,
>
> Vin

It would be helpful to see your configuration file since most issues
are specific to a particular appender.

AsyncAppender had several issues that could result in deadlocks.
However it is not clear if you were experiencing deadlocks (where a
logging call does not return control to the caller) or a case where
the call returns but no observable operation takes place.  I can't
recall any reports of the latter.

If you are able to reproduce the problem in a controlled environment,
does the problem occur after updating to log4j 1.2.15 or the SVN
HEAD?  If not, then the problem may have already been resolved.