Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by LA King <la...@alum.colby.edu> on 2012/10/25 22:35:11 UTC

Footer: how do I change content WITHOUT restarting numbering

I have a long doc with sections within chapters

--
L.A. King
572 Bokman Place

Re: Fwd: Footer: how do I change content WITHOUT restarting numbering

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:40:07 -0700
LA King <la...@alum.colby.edu> wrote:

> I have a long doc with sections within chapters
>
> I  want to label in the footer the section without having to restart the
> numbering, changing only the text
>
>  Calendar  /  page 1
>  Calendar  /  page 2
>  Readings  /  page 3
>  Readings  /  page 4
>
> Microsoft Word did this by putting in a New Section marker allowing changes
> to the footer in that section
>
> --
> L.A. King
> 572 Bokman Place
> Sonoma, CA 95476-3672
> laking@alum.colby.edu

In OpenOffice, each time one wishes to change the content in a page header/footer one should use a different page Style; in the case you are using you may need to define new Page Styles based on the same original, styles which may only differ in the detail of name.  For helpful information consult
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44607 [Tutorial: Page Styles and Headers/Footers]

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Fwd: Footer: how do I change content WITHOUT restarting numbering

Re: Footer: how do I change content WITHOUT restarting numbering

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Use different page styles and don't specify any page number in the relevant field.
See also: http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221

Since you are not subscribed to this list you may not see all the replies to your query.
To subscribe Apache OpenOffice mailing lists go to
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html

Hagar

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:35:11 -0000, LA King <la...@alum.colby.edu> wrote:

> I have a long doc with sections within chapters
> I  want to label in the footer the section without having to restart the
> numbering, changing only the text

you should insert a field with the chapter number/caption into the footer. open the "insert/fields/other" window and select what you need from the "chapter" category. with the "level" field you could switch between chapters, sections, subsections etc.

for this to work properly you should use "heading #" styles for chapter headings. the numbering pattern is udjustable through the "tools/outline numbering" window.