Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Don Pellegrino <do...@mail.advok.com> on 2000/03/02 05:27:54 UTC

NT Service for Tomcat Written

I am new to the list so I don't know if there have already been threads
about running Tomcat as a service on NT.  Let me know if I should research
back through the list archive and educate myself.

Anyway, I just finished writing a little C program to run Tomcat as service
on NT.  When the service is started it executes the startup.bat file, when
the service is stopped it executes the shutdown.bat file.  It is pretty
simple.  What should I do with it?  I was going to clean it up a little and
post it to my web page (http://www.advok.com) for the time being.  If it
would be useful to contribute it to the project as a whole how do I go about
getting involved in that?

Re: NT Service for Tomcat Written

Posted by Sun Yiyi <yy...@ONLINE.EMICH.EDU>.
Hi,

I also wrote a tool to launch as NT tray app and NT service.  It's free with
full source at: http://members.xoom.com/yy_sun/jsplauncher/index.html

Do you know how to check if Tomcat is running?

Cheers!

Sun Yiyi

Posted by James Cook <ji...@iname.com>.
Just some more options. I have successfully used KC Multimedia's
ServiceMaster product to launch java processes as NT services. I've got
three running right now.

http://www.kcmultimedia.com/smaster/

jim

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@relativity.yi.org>.
Don Pellegrino wrote:

> I am new to the list so I don't know if there have already been threads
> about running Tomcat as a service on NT.  Let me know if I should research
> back through the list archive and educate myself.
>
> Anyway, I just finished writing a little C program to run Tomcat as service
> on NT.  When the service is started it executes the startup.bat file, when
> the service is stopped it executes the shutdown.bat file.  It is pretty
> simple.  What should I do with it?  I was going to clean it up a little and
> post it to my web page (http://www.advok.com) for the time being.  If it
> would be useful to contribute it to the project as a whole how do I go about
> getting involved in that?

Have you seen srvany.exe that comes with the NT resource kit?  That is
basically what it does.  It has been around for a while (like 2 years)
now and has a bunch of options.  We should probably run that since it is
the standard way to run non-native services under NT.

Kevin

--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org