Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Martin Ciglan <m....@sino.sk> on 2018/07/26 12:40:51 UTC

Guacamole in fullscreen Kiosk mode?

Has anybody tried to use Guacamole in fullscreen kiosk mode?
So, user wouldn't see that is running in browser and there would be no
issues with keyboard shortcuts, in other words, there must be some work done
in order to achieve this right?

Re: Guacamole in fullscreen Kiosk mode?

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 8:40 AM Martin Ciglan <m....@sino.sk> wrote:

> Has anybody tried to use Guacamole in fullscreen kiosk mode?
> So, user wouldn't see that is running in browser and there would be no
> issues with keyboard shortcuts, in other words, there must be some work
> done
> in order to achieve this right?

It is probably do-able in the current version of Guacamole - you could put
the browser into full-screen mode before loading the Guacamole interface,
and then load the page and have it go straight to a connection (this will
happen automatically if only one connection is accessible to the logged in
user).

I think there is a JIRA issue already opened for opening connections in
full-screen mode - this would take a little bit of work to do to integrate
with the various browser APIs for triggering full-screen mode.
Additionally, locking down shortcut keys and such would also take a little
work - someone mentioned recently that the keyboard locking API for Chrome
is out, and so that would probably need to be leveraged/implemented.

So, yes, a little work would need to be done to make Guacamole operate in a
truly locked-down kiosk mode.  There are some work-arounds for this, though
- you can do some O/S level and browser-level stuff to limit what apps can
be launched, what shortcut keys are available, etc., that wouldn't require
modifications to Guacamole.

-Nick

Re: Guacamole in fullscreen Kiosk mode?

Posted by Martin Ciglan <m....@sino.sk>.
Thank you Sebastien for your valuable information. So I guess it's rather
matter of couple of weeks to implement it and test it?

Re: Guacamole in fullscreen Kiosk mode?

Posted by Sebastien Bilodeau <de...@gmail.com>.
 We've done it, and I can confirm it's a lot of work!

I'll share a few tricks:
1- In order to lock down your server, without locking out the
administrator, you want to do this:
- Create 2 administrator accounts, and 1 user account
- For Admin2, create a shortcut on the desktop, to manage GPOs
- For Admin1, keep it out of GPOs by setting Deny Read & Execute on
C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy

This has 2 results: Admin1 is unaffected by the restrictions applied
through GPOs, and Admin1 cannot manage GPOs anymore. Hence the Admin2 user
created beforehand.

2- Turn off and disable as much as you can, in GPOs. No Help, no
accessibility features, no control panel, etc.

3- Set your logon script to run two things. First the application you want.
For us, it's IE in kiosk mode. Then, we have the script run AutoHotKey and
remap about 500 shortcuts to "nothing", in order to disable them.

Good luck!