Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2023/02/14 23:22:55 UTC

Call for Mentors: 2023 Google Summer of Code for the Mifos Initiative

Hello Mifos & Fineract communities,

It's that time of year again and the Mifos Initiative is looking to
participate in Google Summer of Code once more. This would be our eleventh
year of participation. Our application has been submitted and we're in the
process of refining our ideas list in case we do get selected. If we are
selected to participate this year, I want to be deeply cognizant of having
a committed set of mentors and backup mentors who will be available for the
duration of the program to mentor their students in an engaged fashion.

Last year, despite having a smaller number of projects than normal (just
ten) we struggled to provide the ideal mentoring experience for our interns
and some of our mentors had to take on extra capacity to guide their
interns. GSOC still represents a great way to attract highly talented
individuals and begin to pass the torch onto the next generation of
contributors so it's a great way for our more seasoned community members to
participate and give back.

We already have a strong set of mentors who have expressed their interest
and their commitment to mentor this year but we're still seeking more so we
can have redundancy and ensure we deliver our interns the enriching
experience and professional and personal growth they deserve.

While Apache Software Foundation is applying separately, under the umbrella
of the Mifos Initiative, we will focus on our suite of Mifos mobile and web
apps for staff and customers but also target projects for Fineract 1.x with
a primary focus on peripheral innovation on the edge or making progress on
ongoing refactoring, code stability, security improvements, testing
coverage growth, etc around the back-end. While we haven't refined the
ideas significantly, we will also target work on the Payment Hub, our AI
for All strategy, additional modules on top of Fineract, Open Banking and
3PPI APIs and G2P related efforts like OpenG2P.

With the project ideas we'll be targeting and focusing on, we'll aim for
those on the back-end and Fineract to not impact core development or put
overall quality of the platform at risk.

We'll hear back on the status of our application by Feb 22 and if accepted,
interns can begin applying March 20.

We'll be adding our mentors and refining our ideas list at:
https://mifosforge.jira.com/wiki/spaces/RES/pages/3296690177/Google+Summer+of+Code+2023+Ideas

If you have any questions please contact me or or other org admins @Rahul
Goel <ra...@gmail.com> and @Sanyam Goel <sa...@gmail.com>

To express interest in mentoring, please fill the form out at
https://forms.gle/7X5c138tDJnmKTzC9

If you have ideas you'd like to list, please reach out to me or the other
org admins and we'll help get them added to the wiki page.

Later on, I will schedule a community-wide Zoom meeting to have a
discussion on potential ideas and answer questions of prospective mentors

Most of the changes that took place in 2022 have carried over to the 2023
program. These major changes are listed below.

(1) Starting in 2022, the program will be *open to all newcomers of open
source* that are 18 years and older, *no longer focusing solely on
university students**.*
(2) GSoC Contributors will be able to choose from multiple size projects
~175 hour (medium) and 350 hour (large).
(3) Google is building increased flexibility around the timing of projects
- there is an option to extend the standard 12 week coding time frame to a
maximum of 22 weeks

More on the 2023 program can be found at
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/downloads/GSoC2023Presentation.pdf

The program starts slightly earlier this year with the coding program
officially beginning May 29 and for the standard duration projects ending
on August 8 and for the extended duration projects November 6.

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative

Re: Call for Mentors: 2023 Google Summer of Code for the Mifos Initiative

Posted by Willie Ng'ang'a Macharia <ng...@gmail.com>.
I agree with you James Dailey.

Regards,

Willie